• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hive/Nest and other such smart home tech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    you can turn that feature off so that it only wakes up "on press" rather than "on approach"
    Cheers, think i'll do that.

I put it on the wall as I was too tight to pay for the stand but probably might just buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Cheers, think i'll do that.

I put it on the wall as I was too tight to pay for the stand but probably might just buy it.
      I assume the power goes in the back so a bit fiddly to route through the wall cleanly?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I assume the power goes in the back so a bit fiddly to route through the wall cleanly?
        Na, I've put it right next to an alcove with some fitted shelves in it, so the wire comes out the bottom and goes horizontal for a couple of inches and disappears behind that.

Thought it would be ok but its really annoying me now.

Comment

Well I'm on holiday and looks like the router/internet is down so I cant see my camera, smoke alarms or plugs.

Hopefully I've not been burgled or the house isn't on fire

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Well I'm on holiday and looks like the router/internet is down so I cant see my camera, smoke alarms or plugs.

Hopefully I've not been burgled or the house isn't on fire
            Looked ok when I removed it. HTH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had to switch the true radiant feature off. Takes like half an hour to get to 20c yet it continually was switching he heating on 90 minutes out.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I had to switch the true radiant feature off. Takes like half an hour to get to 20c yet it continually was switching he heating on 90 minutes out.
                How long did you have it running? Took mine a good couple of weeks to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  How long did you have it running? Took mine a good couple of weeks to learn.
                  only 6 days admittedly, I kind of expected some error in the initial period but it was out massively which surprised me.

Comment

And this is all thanks to you lot buying crappy IoT devices.

Today the web was broken by countless hacked devices – your 60-second summary

Flashpoint has confirmed that some of the infrastructure responsible for the distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks against Dyn DNS were botnets compromised by Mirai malware. Mirai botnets were previously used in DDoS attacks against security researcher Brian Krebs’ blog “Krebs On Security” and French internet service and hosting provider OVH. Mirai malware targets Internet of Things (IoT) devices like routers, digital video records (DVRs), and webcams/security cameras, enslaving vast numbers of these devices into a botnet, which is then used to conduct DDoS attacks. Flashpoint has confirmed that at least some of the devices used in the Dyn DNS attacks are DVRs, further matching the technical indicators and tactics, techniques, and procedures associated with previous known Mirai botnet attacks.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

interesting point if you automate your home security with IoT devices,

how long before the criminals realise that all they need to do is cut your incoming internet connection and your home is no longer protected

Comment

Working...
                      X