• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel - invalid link error even though link works ok.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel - invalid link error even though link works ok.

Every time I open a workbook (2007 xlsx) I get a message saying one or more links cannot be updated.

I deleted all links and got no error on open as expected. Then I put back just one link from another book and got the error again, even though changing the value shows that the link is working perfectly. I get the error no matter which other book I link to.

Seem to get this problem in at least one of my accounts workbooks every year, only solution I've found is to create a new book and paste everything into it, a right hastle.

Any better ideas? Ta.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Every time I open a workbook (2007 xlsx) I get a message saying one or more links cannot be updated.

I deleted all links and got no error on open as expected. Then I put back just one link from another book and got the error again, even though changing the value shows that the link is working perfectly. I get the error no matter which other book I link to.

Seem to get this problem in at least one of my accounts workbooks every year, only solution I've found is to create a new book and paste everything into it, a right hastle.

Any better ideas? Ta.

What format is the other excel workbook? (xls, xlsx, xlsb, etc)
    Does it link to other books?
    What size are both workbooks?

...for testing purposes:
    What happens if you copy the other workbook onto a new sheet in the current workbook and link like that, i.e. within the same workbook?

(More questions to come)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have you checked for named ranges - sometimes hold erroneous link information (rare, but hey...)?
      Could try an add-in such as this
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Cheers chaps, but not about hidden links or anything in other book. It's ok if I clear all links then the error comes back if I just paste a link from a new blank worksheet.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cheers chaps, but not about hidden links or anything in other book. It's ok if I clear all links then the error comes back if I just paste a link from a new blank worksheet.

OK, try copying the one worksheet in the book which errors into a new book, then add the link in. Does that error?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            What format is the other excel workbook? (xls, xlsx, xlsb, etc)
            This?

And

What happens if the linked workbook is open before you open the workbook with the errors?

Comment

More suggestions:
              How to find broken links in Excel that can't be broken with 'Break Links'? - Super User
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What happens if the linked workbook is open before you open the workbook with the errors?
                Still same. They are all xlsm/xlsx.

OK, try copying the one worksheet in the book which errors into a new book, then add the link in. Does that error?
                Ah! Did a copy and no errors. I knew that already as said in original post BUT I just discovered that, if I select the entire sheet at top left and do a copy , it copies all the correct columns widths/row heights too. When I used the cut and paste solution before I just copied the active areas and then had to set column widths from default and that was the hassle I was trying to avoid

Makes cut n paste a much simpler solution. Cheers to all.
                bloggoth

Comment

Makes cut n paste a much simpler solution. Cheers to all.

Use your keyboard, make it even quicker...
                  Ctrl+a = select all
                  Ctrl+c = copy
                  Ctrl+v = paste

Comment

Working...
                  X