• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obtaining MS Project and Visio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining MS Project and Visio

Hi All
    Newbie here, just registered.....I did post this question yesterday (25 Apr) under 'Welcome/FAQ', there have been 101 Views, but 0 replies unfortunately, have been advised to post here under 'Technical', so fingers crossed...
    Just ventured into contracting world, taking voluntary redundancy after 26 years as employee
    My question is - as I'm targetting PM/Consultant roles in integration/interfacing, software development - what/where is the best value option for obtaining MS Project and Visio?
    PCWorld said they only do regular Office suite
    MS website was a little confusing/misleading (eg click on a link for Project or Visio and it takes you to a package that doesn't include it...), though they did ring me up, and suggest licenses through them or an MS partner for Office/Project/Visio licenses at roughly £8/£15/£9 per month respectively, which I guess may be reasonable....?
    Otherwise it seems to be spending circa £1,500 elsewhere to buy Project and Visio, and then presumably pay for upgrades and/or license renewals..
    Any advice on what you've done...very much appreciated
    Thanks

Hi Dingbat, normally the client will supply you with a PC and the software. Alternatively look at OpenOffice Draw (or Libre Office Draw) and ProjectLibre.

But since they are a business requirement you should be able to buy them through your company. Project will cost around £560 from Microsoft (if you want 2016 version and not the 365 subscription). Visio is £280 from them. (That's including VAT)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Microsoft Action Pack includes them.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        Microsoft Action Pack includes them.
        Speaking of which, I got an introductory offer email for that the other day and wanted to know what happens to the software when the subscription is over 12 months later? Does the software just stop working or what ?

It's not a bad deal at half price but I don't spend £325 on SW in an average year so wouldn't want to commit to that...

Boo

Comment

It carries on working though you aren't supposed to use it after your subscription has expired.
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

You also have to pass the Partner Exam and are supposed to be selling Microsoft solutions

Comment

Thanks for advice all, will investigate

Comment

When I start a contract I get a monthly subscription and then usually the client supplies a laptop with the software. If not, then I keep the subscription. If I'm feeling very tight I look for 1 month free trials.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                  It carries on working though you aren't supposed to use it after your subscription has expired.
                  Anyone happen to know whether the same applies to SW provided via MSDN ?

Thanks,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Anyone happen to know whether the same applies to SW provided via MSDN ?

Thanks,

Boo
                    None of the software acquired under (old) Technet, current or old MSDN or any other partner scheme is supposed to be used for production work.

All my old Technet licence keys still work - I must have activated the Windows 7 Pro key forty-odd times over the years. Never an issue.

Legal? Seems so:

Five things every TechNet subscriber needs to do before time runs out | ZDNet

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/sub.../cc137104.aspx
                    Last edited by BackupBoy; 29 April 2016, 13:13. Reason: added msdn link

Comment

Working...
                    X