• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4k Monitors for Coders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4k Monitors for Coders

I'm after a new monitor for working from home, got to be at least 24", is 4k worth it resolution wise (as I spend most of my time working in IntelliJ on my Mac), or will 1080p do just as well?, less that 400 notes would be ideal, any recommendations?

Do you need all that just for Dos prompts and Visual Basic??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Do you need all that just for Dos prompts and Visual Basic??
      Back in your box, Ideally I need a 3 monitor setup, one for email, one for IntelliJ and one for CUK!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Back in your box, Ideally I need a 3 monitor setup, one for email, one for IntelliJ and one for CUK!
        AYCOTBAC?

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 19 April 2016, 12:44.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So not wholly and exclusively for your business?

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            So not wholly and exclusively for your business?

Sod it i'll just buy a 49 inch LED TV and use that

Comment

Sod it i'll just buy a 49 inch LED TV and use that
              Work in broadcasting, now, then?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm so used to working with multiple monitors, I couldn't go back to a single monitor now.

My advice, assuming you have a desktop PC, is to get one of these:

Sapphire AMD FirePro W4100

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Fi...+Firepro+W4100

And then four normal HD monitors that have a display port input. 20 inch plus each.

And then a good desk mount.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lavolta-Mon...+monitor+stand

You'll never look back!
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD monitor

For just over 500 notes inc vat.

Couldn't go back to multiple monitors now that I have one giving 4x1080 and no font scaling required (try that on a 4k monitor under 37" without a magnifying glass ).

I went into more details in another recent-ish thread about monitors in this technical sub forum if interested.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I'm working on a 24" monitor, a 22" monitor, and a 15" laptop. And the laptop screen is the one that's 4K.

It is good. Even at that size the text is very sharp and more readable, even though obviously you need to increase the font size for that screen only (which is a bit flakey in Windows 10, and doesn't work at all in Windows 7). I would say yes it's definitely worth it just for that, and there seem to be several for <£400.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X