• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple snappable desktops on one big UHD monitor vs 4 monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple snappable desktops on one big UHD monitor vs 4 monitors

I'm about to setup a new PC in my office for plan B.

If I buy a 40 inch UHD monitor, can it be setup in Windows to be split into four regions, so windows can snap as if it were four smaller monitors, or do I need to do what I did on my last PC, which was buy 4 small monitors and have a graphics card with four outputs?

I'd rather have one giant monitor split into four regions if that would work, but not sure how well that works and how to set that up.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm about to setup a new PC in my office for plan B.

If I buy a 40 inch UHD monitor, can it be setup in Windows to be split into four regions, so windows can snap as if it were four smaller monitors, or do I need to do what I did on my last PC, which was buy 4 small monitors and have a graphics card with four outputs?

I'd rather have one giant monitor split into four regions if that would work, but not sure how well that works and how to set that up.
    No way to do that currently I don't think.

You can have multiple virtual desktops with one monitor but only one can be displayed and be active at a time.
    There is software out there that will do two desktop instances on two separate monitors.

EDIT : You could run multiple VM's on the box and tile the desktops for those?
    Last edited by DaveB; 10 March 2016, 14:19.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      No way to do that currently I don't think.

You can have multiple virtual desktops with one monitor but only one can be displayed and be active at a time.
      There is software out there that will do two desktop instances on two separate monitors.

EDIT : You could run multiple VM's on the box and tile the desktops for those?
      No, needs to be four virtual screens, one O/S, like having four monitors, which is what I have now. If Windows 10 can't do this, then I will buy four monitors and another one of these SAPPHIRE FirePro W4100 2GB GDDR5 | 31004-51-40A | Novatech

But, would prefer one large 4K resolution monitor with display port input and four virtual monitor areas if it can be done.

Comment

How to split one large display into two or more

Various software to do this. Never tried it as I'm happy with just 2 monitors.

Comment

Sounds like you need either of the following if you don't want separate video inputs and use Picture In Picture functionality for each video input (if the monitor supports that).

1. Windows 10 style multi-desktop or other software driven segregation.
          2. Separate VMs so each one can be resized to quarter of overall screen.
          3. Video card and suitable driver which can replicate PIP style separation via one monitor input.

My current home PC set up is one big UHD 40 incher (Philips BDM4065UC) which I've set as one big desktop using displayport, so full UHD resolution at decent refresh rate (need displayport or HDMI 2.0 to avoid lower refresh rates).

The Philips monitor does allow PIP and up to 3 regions I think, though I've only tried it with 2 regions so far, so a quarter of the screen can be used for client laptop second monitor while rest of desktop is for my own PC, so I can surf 'dodgy' stuff like CUK on my PC while client laptop is connected to their network via VPN.

All works so far. Only issue I've had is the displayport not auto waking up via Windows 7 if monitor set to turn off after x minutes, so as a fudge I've just W7 to display a black screen saver rather than turn the monitor off. Possibly a W7 driver issue with the new video card I got at same time as the monitor last November. W10 may solve it but I'm not that desperate yet.

One thing's for sure, one UHD monitor at 40" (so no need to resize fonts as you probably would with 27" UDH) is miles better than the 3 monitors I had cluttering up my desk before the upgrade. Best upgrade I've done since going 100% SSD.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I need the ease of dragging windows from "monitor" to "monitor", snapping to maximize on each and all the usual stuff you get with multiple monitors.

If it don't do that with one big screen, I ain't interested.

Comment

Sounds like Virtual Desktops are best place to start. W10 has it built in but not sure functionality matches your needs. If not there are 3rd party software solutions.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Sounds like Virtual Desktops are best place to start. W10 has it built in but not sure functionality matches your needs. If not there are 3rd party software solutions.
                Checked out Virtual Desktops. Nope, definately not what I want.

So far looks like four separate monitors is the only way to see four desktops at once, but still be able to move the mouse round them all and drag and snap applications from one area to another seamlessly.

Comment

You could get one of these:

A-Neuvideo 4 x 1 HDMI Quad Screen Multi-Viewer ANI-QUAD-MINI B&H
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I got one of these recently:

Samsung 34" SE790C Curved Ultra WQHD LED Monitor- Samsung UK

Awesome screen.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to show off

Comment

Working...
                    X