• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple snappable desktops on one big UHD monitor vs 4 monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I got one of these recently:

Samsung 34" SE790C Curved Ultra WQHD LED Monitor- Samsung UK

Awesome screen.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to show off
    We don't like show offs round here.

Comment

Looking in the manual for my Philips monitor, it has something called MultiView which allows Picture By Picture for up to 3 sub windows as well as a main window, so 4 in all and all with equal quarters of the overall screen.

So would just need a video card (or two) to get the 4 inputs into the monitor (choice of VGA, HDMI, MHL-HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DP).

Manual is here and Picture By Picture (PBP 4Win) is on page 10 if you care to do your own research.

Even if that still doesn't meet your needs the monitor itself may be hard to beat for spec and price (£529 inc vat at PC World of all places ) if you want to go UHD.

Got to be a better solution out there than 4 monitors on your desk.

Edit: With the above arrangement Windows would definitely allow you to drag and maximise between what it though was separate monitors, and with a 40" you'd have 4xHD(1080) at a readable DPI without scaling up fonts.
      Last edited by Hobosapien; 11 March 2016, 11:09.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        I got one of these recently:

Samsung 34" SE790C Curved Ultra WQHD LED Monitor- Samsung UK

Awesome screen.
        Boo's theorem :

1440 lines == meh == < 48" screen

<Edit> But I could make an exception for the 40" Philips monitor in the post above ^^^^</Edit>

Boo
        Last edited by Boo; 11 March 2016, 12:18.

Comment

I have the 40" Philips PHL BDM4065 monitor.

I downloaded SmartControl from Philips and installed it, I think I needed it to adjust the refresh rate. Anyway you can snap windows to different areas of the monitor.

There is an icon on the top right of each window, click on it to snap the window. I have the Philips monitor setup in "left veritcal", so the screen is split into two then the right side split into two again. However, you can configure it and select "even" then the monitor is split into 4 sections. Click on the icon on the window, select the section and the window will snap to that section.

It also works with my second monitor, so I can snap windows from the main monitor to the second.

Oh forgot to mention if you click on align to partition in the settings, you can drag the window and will snap to the region. I only discovered this answering your question, so thank you.
          Last edited by woohoo; 11 March 2016, 13:51.

Comment

Have a look at this one me old prawn:
            https://maxto.net/

Keyboard shortcuts can ping progs from one space to another. Not the drag and maximise you are looking for but might fit the bill.

Comment

I don't think W10 can do this so I think you'd have to get a monitor which supports 4 inputs i.e. it basically acts as 4 logical displays to your PC (4 cables) but tiles them on one area. This will of course let you do what you want.

I doubt it's too common though. If you can get an external kit that does this for you you'd have more freedom but I'd be worried it might be a PITA.

If you find a solution, I'd love to hear it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Taking a look at this:

Split the Windows Desktop: How to Divide a Single Large Desktop into Multiple Smaller Ones - Articles - Actual Tools

Comment

Working...
                X