• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contractor - Flat Rate percentage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contractor - Flat Rate percentage

I am an IT Contractor and normally take on roles such as service desk, 2nd line and desktop support.
    What would be the appropriate flat rate percentage for me?

For the past 1 year I have been put on by my accountant as an IT consultant which is 14.5% VAT FRS however I wouldn't consider myself as a consultant.

Since my job is mainly break/fix (hardware and software) I would consider my VAT FRS to be labelled as computer repair which is 10.5%.

Would you all agree to this and if so, is there a way to back date VAT payments due to the incorrect labelling?

Thanks

Your job is to provide expertise. It's their kit you are fixing with their tools etc. There is no requirement for you to buy it etc and no different financially to a PM or Service Manager so why should your VAT be different?

That's my uninformed opinion though. Maybe ab accountant will be a better bet.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 March 2016, 17:52.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ah but you see he is a techie doing 'mending stuff' so he has posted where he thought was the correct place i.e. the Technical section which is obviously for techies.

And being a techie he knows the accountants will be notified of the thread eventually once the case has been escalated to 2nd and then 3rd line support...

Joking aside it is perhaps a fair question and a nice mod might move this to the appropriate forum or the OP could just wander off into the Bear pit and ask in there directly.

IIRC when I did my frs form I put the rate in the form not my accountant.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by chris101 View Post
        I am an IT Contractor and normally take on roles such as service desk, 2nd line and desktop support.

For the past 1 year I have been put on by my accountant as an IT consultant which is 14.5% VAT FRS however I wouldn't consider myself as a consultant.

Since my job is mainly break/fix (hardware and software) I would consider my VAT FRS to be labelled as computer repair which is 10.5%.

Would you all agree to this and if so, is there a way to back date VAT payments due to the incorrect labelling?

Thanks
        No, I agree with your accountant, unless you're doing the buying and selling of the hardware\software you're in the 14.5% category

Comment

Originally posted by chris101 View Post

Thanks
          No. I'd go with what my accountant advised me. If you end up in court for VAT issues and they learn that your accountant advised you to go with the other rate, then you're really in it.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do you consider yourself a one man band offering to fix peoples computers out of the back of a shop on a per customer basis?

Or are you a consultancy service offering hardware and software activities to an end client?

Alas base on this I fear this is just another case of people not getting the answer they want from a professional so asking for unqualified advice on an anonymous internet forum
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X