• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New home router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New home router

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent home wireless router?

The one we have is creaking a bit under the strain of the number of devices we have connected. A dozen at the last count, and is 2.4Ghz only.

Would like something dual band, good range, ideally with USB support for local storage, VPN support, QoS mangagement.

Any suggestions from the congregation?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I'm using Apple Airport Extreme for the WiFi, one of the top performers in terms of range and speed in both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz. But lacks fancy options in terms of routing

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Anyone got any recommendations for a decent home wireless router?

The one we have is creaking a bit under the strain of the number of devices we have connected. A dozen at the last count, and is 2.4Ghz only.

Would like something dual band, good range, ideally with USB support for local storage, VPN support, QoS mangagement.

Any suggestions from the congregation?
      I am impressed with the Mearki AP I got from the free webinar, so much so that I am looking to buy one of their routers to compliment, not cheap but very impressive.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I am impressed with the Mearki AP I got from the free webinar, so much so that I am looking to buy one of their routers to compliment, not cheap but very impressive.
        The routers look like overkill for us. Pricey as you say and you need a paid for license for the management software. Couldn't see anything that said it could be done directly on the device.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The routers look like overkill for us. Pricey as you say and you need a paid for license for the management software. Couldn't see anything that said it could be done directly on the device.
          Without the licence yeah it shuts down, but there are enough features that swung it for me (mainly the site-to-site VPN for the house in Spain).
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

MyCo required me to purchase a Netgear D7000......pretty much all the router I need!
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

You got any spare routers knocking around that you could daisy chain them?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Need more info DB.

Do you want VPN support? Think about the recent problems I've had with online banking fraud etc. If you're on the road a lot and using hotel wifi then a VPN dial in to home can give peace of mind.

Are you a gamer?

Do any of your devices use Voip/SIP?

Do you need parental controls?

Do you want to operate a DMZ, fixed or dynamic IP?

Are you on ADSL or Cable?

What's your budget?

Answer these an I can give you my recommendations.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Thanks to SimonMac, I also have the free Meraki AP after attending the webinar - solid piece of kit.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Need more info DB.

Do you want VPN support? Think about the recent problems I've had with online banking fraud etc. If you're on the road a lot and using hotel wifi then a VPN dial in to home can give peace of mind.

Are you a gamer?

Do any of your devices use Voip/SIP?

Do you need parental controls?

Do you want to operate a DMZ, fixed or dynamic IP?

Are you on ADSL or Cable?

What's your budget?

Answer these an I can give you my recommendations.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X