• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Edge / IE Virtual Machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Edge / IE Virtual Machine

Has anyone tried this?

A 90 days trial, wondering if it's a full operating system as the download is 5.5GB via Parallels.

Looks like the full OS to me, but it expires in 90 days it says.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Looks like the full OS to me, but it expires in 90 days it says.
      I will look at it tonight. Will have to do until I've shelled out for the Action Pack.

Comment

On VBox they're as slow as the world's slowest slow things...

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
          On VBox they're as slow as the world's slowest slow things...

Boo
          Yes, I did do my homework and can't fault Parallels for the speed.

VM Benchmarks - Parallels 10 vs. Fusion 7 vs. VirtualBox

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
            Yes, I did do my homework and can't fault Parallels for the speed.

VM Benchmarks - Parallels 10 vs. Fusion 7 vs. VirtualBox
            Fusion 8 won the battle with Parallels 11 and VirtualBox tho!

VM Benchmarks: Parallels 11 vs. Fusion 8 vs. VirtualBox 5

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
              Has anyone tried this?

A 90 days trial, wondering if it's a full operating system as the download is 5.5GB via Parallels.
              Those are indeed the real deal. MS have had similarly timebombed virtual machine images to permit IE version testing for some years now. A very useful resource to make use of.

Comment

When they expire, can you just start over with a new one or do you get one go and that's it?

If the former it could be a solution to: http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...licensing.html - I only need to install one application on the VM so it's not a big inconvenience!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  When they expire, can you just start over with a new one or do you get one go and that's it?

If the former it could be a solution to: http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...licensing.html - I only need to install one application on the VM so it's not a big inconvenience!
                  Yes, just start again. I usually keep the downloaded files on an external drive and copy them to the machine I'm working on to create an instance of the VM when needed, then dump it when it either expires or I don't need it any more and want the disk space back.

And I've done the thing of installing a piece of Windows software I only need short-term, or just want occasionally and don't mind reinstalling as and when. In particular, until they started including decent developer tools in IE8, the only practical way of debugging IE issues was with the free web developer "Express" version of Visual Studio. I'd usually crank up a new VM from the MS downloads for each of IE6 and 7, install VS, use them for debugging, then just throw the VMs away at the end of the project.

I've still got the pristine files for MS's IE6 VM somewhere, though hopefully I'll never need that again

Comment

Working...
                  X