• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Qnap vs. Synology vs. HP Microserver NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qnap vs. Synology vs. HP Microserver NAS

I currently have an HP Microserver configured with unRAID software and it runs fine. But last time I power-cycled it, the USB containing the O/S had become corrupted (I suspect a problem with the OS) and it was a PITA to get it going again.

I'm kind of fancying getting a QNAP NAS and using the drives I currently have in the HP. At £400 odd it's quite an expensive solution but it would add Plex and hopefully an OS that doesn't self-corrupt.

Any views on Qnap vs. Synology? the Qnap looks suspiciously identical to the HP Microserver, so it's a bit of a rip-off to charge £400 for it! I guess one's paying for the software.

I have a Synology Homecloud box and am very happy with it. Not used either of your others so can't compare against but it's quieter than the WD NAS I also have.

Comment

I follow the red hot deals Uk "computing" section where these are regularly discussed. Synology and QNAP are highly spoken off. Haven't got one personally. I've got a Buffalo Linkstation and would not recommend.

Comment

I have a WD DL-4100, £350 without disks and is flawless, there is a consumer version for about £288 but the extra features on the DL is well worth the 60 odd quid difference
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I replaced my Qnap with an HP Microserver running FreeNAS.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Interesting... why?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              We've had nothing but bother with FreeNAS at clientco, was my decision to use it too. Ripped it out and used the WSS 2012 that came with the NAS's.

Have to use Windows now

Comment

I have a QNAP (TS-419P) which I have had running faultlessly for over 5 years.

Comment

I have the HP Microserver and have had no problems with it. I run several VM's for a home lab on it and also Kodi and also synology cannot see why you would leave it.

How have you got it set up?

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                    I have a QNAP (TS-419P) which I have had running faultlessly for over 5 years.
                    ^^This. I've also got a QNAP (TS-210) and it's been running reliably for 4 years now. Just upgraded the disks for larger capacity. For the money even the entry level models are excellent. The TS-210 only takes 2 drives and is running RAID 1 but that's all I need for a file server.

Comment

Working...
                    X