• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dash cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Numpty question but don't you worry that leaving a piece of gadgetry like this on your dash is a way of ensuring that the Autoglass fella has his days filled and the local chancer who used to sell sat navs has a new offering to flog down the local boozer?
    Mine goes in my coat pocket. I unplug the lead and stick it in the glove compartment if I'll be parked for any length of time or on the street, but usually don't bother at somewhere like Sainsbury's when it's busy.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      but usually don't bother at somewhere like Sainsbury's when it's busy.
      In some areas that's exactly where the local chancers prime hunting grounds are.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        In some areas that's exactly where the local chancers prime hunting grounds are.

Lots of CCTV, car washers, and constant foot traffic to and from the store in the area where I usually park. If it's very busy out front and I go for one of the spaces round the side where it's quieter, I put the lead away

Comment

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
          As I previously posted on a similar thread; make sure if you ever rely on one of these devices in an accident that your driving is whiter than white. I had an accident in January which was ruled in different ways by the police and the insurance company; the police deemed me to be driving without due care and handed down 7 points for my efforts. My insurers, using the same footage, found me to be free of blame for the accident and found in my favor.
          The police don't deem you anything, they report you for an offence and it is the courts which decide your fate. Although how on earth you can be guilty in a criminal matter yet judged innocent in a civil matter for the same incident is beyond me, the standard of proof is stricter in a criminal matter, I.e beyond reasonable doubt.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Just looked in here as thinking of getting a decent one.

Had to jam on the brakes yesterday when some idiot came round a bend right over the line. Checked the video just to see if it would have been any good if I'd crashed. Just before and just after was recorded but the incident itself wasn't as it coincided with switch to a new file. Also the frequent resets take it back to low res, so often can't read number plates.

Hate to go against my religious principles but cheap ones are worthless.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As my driving is the most dangerous I've ever seen, I think I'll give this gadget a miss. Not point in recording myself in my £100K Audi a couple of cm from the car in front at 155mph.

Comment

Should be a law that one is entitled to squash horrible common people.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got a MiVue dash cam that I bought from Halfords for around £150. Very pleased with it. It has GPS, G-Force and speed camera alerts as well. The PC software is something else though - you can replay your journey in real time with GPS, on a map, showing the g-force acting on the car all in HD. Geek heaven.

As an aside, I caught an accident in front of me last month which helped settle someone's insurance claim.

Note how I blanked my speed from the image....
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Why are you driving in the outside lane with nothing in the middle lane?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd just overtaken them - I was on my way back into the middle lane but also wanted to clear the on ramp that you can just see on the left. Cheeky.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X