• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY/Architecture apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY/Architecture apps

We're considering making some changes to our house - (re)moving some non-load-bearing walls, moving doors and radiators, new furniture, moving things around - maybe even some sort of sliding door/wall for greater flexibility. Nothing structural - things we could DIY if we could be arsed.

I'm not great at visualising things and I suck as an artist so I can't sketch what I'm after. I was wondering if there are quick & easy apps I could use to throw together a 3D model of a room and play with it. It doesn't need to be super-fancy, just a way to visualise "what would it look like if we took that wall out" or avoid "oh crap now the fridge is in front of the radiator". In my mind being able to drop in boxes to represent furniture and draw out a floor-plan would be very quick and easy but I've no idea if such things exist.

Anyone got recommendations? I really should stress, simple and easy are the key requirements not richness of featureset. I'm after the MSPaint of architecture, not PhotoShop/Gimp.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Have you identified a builder yet?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I know at least one... in fact next door is structurally identical to ours and they had someone rip out ALL the downstairs walls and remodel it to one open-plan space. He's someone we know quite well and he did a great job although we don't want to do anything that extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I know at least one... in fact next door is structurally identical to ours and they had someone rip out ALL the downstairs walls and remodel it to one open-plan space. He's someone we know quite well and he did a great job although we don't want to do anything that extreme.

Could be worth inviting them round for a chat - it would give you an indication of costs, what can and cannot be done, etc. before you look at something more ambitious. The other half drew our initial ideas up on paper and gave them to the architect to draw up properly. They also help with planning permission, regs, etc.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I already know what can be done since our plans will in all likelihood be a subset of what he did next door. From talking to him and watching that project I know which walls are load-bearing (basically none) and so on. I'd just like to be able to play around with something on-screen since I cannot hold it in my mind easily... knock up various layouts very quickly so I don't have to explain to him what I mean.

I actually have chatted to him a bit but next door was a huge job compared to ours - an entire refit of all flooring, new kitchen, new lighting throughout. Ours is really a modest DIY project in comparison
          Last edited by d000hg; 23 November 2015, 13:23.

Comment

It's not O'Reilly is it? You should use Stubbs, and doesn't forget to use a concrete lintel or RSJ, I don't know, bloody cowboys......

Comment

i used Visio a few years ago to do a floorplan of our house when renovating it

it's not 3d but you have all the icons to drag and drop onto the page for furniture and can place sockets / switches / radiators etc

you could even do it to scale if you wanted to get a lil fancy

other then that i only know of autodesk CAD applications, but i think the best versions are paid for you might get a 30 trial though

Comment

I think CAD would be too much pain!

Visio would be fine for 2D but it's specifically the 3D visualisation "what will it look like" I need the technology to do, to make up for my weakness here

Comment

I think CAD would be too much pain!

Visio would be fine for 2D but it's specifically the 3D visualisation "what will it look like" I need the technology to do, to make up for my weakness here
                  Lego!!

Comment

Sweet home 3d is free and easy to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X