• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amplifier and speakers for the Man-cave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kitting out my man cave and looking for a decent sound system online.

I'm leaning towards a NAD amplifier of some sort as I've had one in the past and couldn't fault it. I am struggling a little bit more on the choice of speakers.

Should I go for two big ones or even four?
    What brands would complement NAD (or comparable amp)?

Usage will be music exclusively (Pink Floyd, Muse, Tool, drum'n'base, jazz, Burt Bacharach's work etc), mostly quite loud.
    The Man-cave is just a tiny hut.

I've got a nice Marantz amp and Mission floor standers + normal ones (and stands for them) that I keep meaning to put on fleabay. PM me if you're interested.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A couple of Sonos Play 1s would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
        A couple of Sonos Play 1s would do.
        +1 for the SONOS as genius bits of kit, but go for the Play3 rather than the 1, the difference is night and day, if the man cave is small you can get away with just the one unit
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

@WTFH could you please send me details either here or in PM?

I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to this but does Sonos compare with a proper set of speakers?

My old setup was NAD 310 amp connected to a pair of Dali 505 speakers and the sound and power was phenomenal!

When listening to Pink Floyd, Muse or other great music it has to be loud and without audible distortion.

Dali 505 on Google images:

Comment

Take a look at What Hi-Fi, they suggest which components pair best too.

Best stereo amplifiers 2015 | Best buys | What Hi-Fi?
            Best hi-fi speakers 2015 | Best buys | What Hi-Fi?

I recently had to replace my CD player, but I still have my old Hi-Fi amp & speakers that I bought 25 years ago.

Comment

Zazou, the amp is a Marantz SR7000, floor standers are Mission 773s, there's a pair of Mission 771s with stands, and there might be a Mission 77c centre speaker. (can't remember if I sold it or it's still boxed up in the loft)
              All were in my batchelor pad living room - which was big. Moved to a smaller house and initially had the 773s on their own, but then bought a Sonos Playbar to replace them, have since bought a couple of Sonos Play 1s for other rooms in the house.

The Sonos is good, but not quite as good as the Missions/Marantz.

If you're interested, PM me your email address and I can send you some photos.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I had pair of Monitor Audio Silvers which were very very nice.
                Paired with ROKSAN kit - really really britian.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

A real man cave looks like this...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Looked here earlier and decided not to interrupt a serious discussion but see darnstadt already has so...

NAD amplifier. SOUNDS RUDE!
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X