• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ethernet cable getting through wall / removing connector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet cable getting through wall / removing connector

Hi,

I want to fit an outside security camera that uses an Ethernet cable to power it and connect to a wireless router, question is do Ethernet cables come with removable connectors or can I just take the connector off and refit like a plug ? The reason I ask is if I can't remove the connector when I drill through the wall I would need to drill it so its wide enough for the connector to fit through, I would prefer not to do that.

thanks
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

You need a crimping tool to do it properly. There are no screw terminals on it and the wires are small.
    You also need to make sure you connect the wires in the correct order.

Will cost you about £10-15 on fleabay for a crimper with a few connectors.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just cut the end off (keep it for noting colours if it's see through) and get some crimping pliers and a new end and remake the end.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm

Comment

Excellent instructions. Ta.

You shouldn't need to worry about crossover/straight through cables for modern kit. All the network stuff I've bought since about 2003 has had auto-sensing capability to sort that out itself.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Or you can do it like a pro with one of these or similar:

Cat5e UTP RJ45 Modules with Faceplate

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Excellent instructions. Ta.

You shouldn't need to worry about crossover/straight through cables for modern kit. All the network stuff I've bought since about 2003 has had auto-sensing capability to sort that out itself.
            You don't want to mess up the wires with PoE involved as the OP suggests

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              You need a crimping tool to do it properly. There are no screw terminals on it and the wires are small.

Ive used a pair of broad ended pliers on more than one occasion. Just need to make sure you apply even pressure across the blade so it cuts into all the wires. As you say, the wires need to be in the right sequence.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I bought an rj10/11 crimp tool brand new on ebay for £1.50 arrived two days later, seriously £1.50 that wouldn't even cover the cost of the jiffy bag it arrived in!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  I bought an rj10/11 crimp tool brand new on ebay for £1.50 arrived two days later, seriously £1.50 that wouldn't even cover the cost of the jiffy bag it arrived in!
                  No but they 10 quid p&p you have to pay does

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    No but they 10 quid p&p you have to pay does
                    My mistake it was £2.28... But with free p&p!

Comment

Working...
                    X