• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Escaping the Iphone cycle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
    just been talking with colleagues this afternoon does anyone understand why places like CEX and GAME and punting out second hand iphones at prices that are just short of new, beyond believable why people would pay it.
    Because they work and have longevity, they are sturdier than the average smart phone, work for years (mrs.sal just swapped her 4 for 6s and it was still working), and you get the latest OS updates for at least 3-4 years down the line. Unlike the android world where in most cases you are lucky to get them after 1 year and even then you have to wait ages for vendor/carrier approved versions, or muck about rooting and flashing your phone.

As for the original topic, it's easy to escape the cycle, just dump the payment plan which is a complete scam in UK, as you are paying the full price of the phone (sometimes with interests) and the full price of the telco package. Get a PAYG SIM from your preferred carrier and buy the phones outright as and when you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I don't think I know a single person IRL who's broken their iPhone screen. I certainly haven't in six years.
      I know a couple of people, and others with non-iPhones. Mostly though they don't bother getting them fixed, they just soldier on with a cracked/crazed screen.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Get over myself, dear boy? Au contraire.

Your comments are like, what was it healy said about howe, something about like being savaged by a dead sheep?

I can see why you use whippy as your name. You must spend hours whipping yourself to orgasm. Enjoy.
        Healey.

Howe.

Comment

My missus and I have been on various android phones for the last 6 years or so. recently changed to all iPhone because of a perception of less cutting edge and more stability, which has so far proved true.

Missus thinks it's the best phone she has had 'it's easy to use' apparently
          Last edited by portseven; 15 October 2015, 15:36.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I treat phones as a consumable.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              I treat phones as a consumable.
              I've heard some people stick them up the other end... but eating them?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I've heard some people stick them up the other end... but eating them?
                Putting the "ate" in vibrate.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

just been talking with colleagues this afternoon does anyone understand why places like CEX and GAME are punting out second hand iphones at prices that are just short of new, beyond believable why people would pay it.
                  I haven't looked at those but is it a way of getting an unlocked iPhone cheaper?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    I haven't looked at those but is it a way of getting an unlocked iPhone cheaper?
                    CEX and GAME are presently punting out Iphone 6 (pre used) at 10 quid more than new on the Apple UK website (as a single example) but there are more. Apple have recently reduced prices on that range. So the likes of the above 2 are carrying a whole lot of unsellable kit.

Comment

CEX and GAME are presently punting out Iphone 6 (pre used) at 10 quid more than new on the Apple UK website (as a single example) but there are more. Apple have recently reduced prices on that range. So the likes of the above 2 are carrying a whole lot of unsellable kit.
                      Weird. There must be some angle, possibly the "We haven't got any of those in stock but you can have this instead..." sales pitch.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X