• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb and Dumber 3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Intel processors have built in Video?

220W - 80W = 200W
    220W (FX 9590) +30W (video card) - 45w (intel 4790T) = 205w

Oh and most of the cpu ranking sites give them equivalent performance....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      220W (FX 9590) +30W (video card) - 45w (intel 4790T) = 205w

Oh and most of the cpu ranking sites give them equivalent performance....
      Cheating and you know it! You can't take the max power consumption of 1, and the min power consumption of another to skew your figures and support your argument!
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Dumb and Dumber 3

Cheating and you know it! You can't take the max power consumption of 1, and the min power consumption of another to skew your figures and support your argument!
        I didn't that's the max power for the Intel processor. Real life results point to it consuming 35w at max not the 45w quoted

However the point is simple. For a server left on all the time it would be cheaper to bin it and buy the Intel cup. The energy saved will pay for itself within 2 years

Comment

Here is a nice comparison (including the power cost in albeit in $):

Intel Core i7 4770K vs AMD FX 9590

bottom line is the reasons to go for the AMD are more cores, more L2 cache, more overclocking. All amounting to nothing giving the fact that at the end of the day it's performance is lower.

If you are going to run VMs on it the amount of memory is much more important than the CPU as most applications/VMs will still consume memory but not CPU when idle. That and the storage, don't expect much performance from the VMs if you put a bunch of them on the same SATA HDD, no matter how much memory and CPU you throw at them.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Here is a nice comparison (including the power cost in albeit in $):

Intel Core i7 4770K vs AMD FX 9590

bottom line is the reasons to go for the AMD are more cores, more L2 cache, more overclocking. All amounting to nothing giving the fact that at the end of the day it's performance is lower.

If you are going to run VMs on it the amount of memory is much more important than the CPU as most applications/VMs will still consume memory but not CPU when idle. That and the storage, don't expect much performance from the VMs if you put a bunch of them on the same SATA HDD, no matter how much memory and CPU you throw at them.
            Before it blew up the VMs were running very well on the same spindle (different spindle to OS).

The price differential on the site you link to is also a motivating factor.

Comment

The price differential on the site you link to is also a motivating factor.
              not sure what you mean by that but the Intel is about £80 more expensive -£20 for the GPU you got = £60 more, well worth it considering the savings in power. If you consider the £40 odd you paid for the Zalman cooler and it gets even worse for the AMD

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                not sure what you mean by that but the Intel is about £80 more expensive -£20 for the GPU you got = £60 more, well worth it considering the savings in power. If you consider the £40 odd you paid for the Zalman cooler and it gets even worse for the AMD
                It's a wonder AMD are even in business then.

Comment

It's a wonder AMD are even in business then.
                  Not when the world is full of people who don't investigate their purchases prior to purchasing...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Not when the world is full of people who don't investigate their purchases prior to purchasing...
                    You saw the thread title, right?

Ok, you can be dumber if you reaaaaally want to

Comment

Working...
                    X