• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripped off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripped off

Hello all,

Just came back from a computer shop where I had my old laptop's hard disk replaced. I paid £79 pounds for the disk and £15 for the work. £79 pounds for a 40GB hard disk (hitachi HTS424040M9AT00) did sound excessive, but I have lost contact with the market really as I haven't needed to buy a new laptop for 4-5 years.

Well, coming back in the office I was told by a colleague that this disk costs between 39 and 44 pounds online. I understand that I would pay more in a shop but I paid almost double... How thick of me!

Apart from being punished for being thick , any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Forget about it.

It's only a few quid. Lifes too short.

I can buy six bottles of beer in ASDA for a fiver and yet if I go into a bar I pay £3 a bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Forget about it.

It's only a few quid. Lifes too short.

I can buy six bottles of beer in ASDA for a fiver and yet if I go into a bar I pay £3 a bottle.

You're a contractor - Why are you shopping in Asda. They still have an isle marked 'foreign foods' that has pasta and rice in FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
        You're a contractor - Why are you shopping in Asda. They still have an isle marked 'foreign foods' that has pasta and rice in FFS.
        I don't shop at ASDA but I do hear poor permies talking about how they survive on just a few K a month.

Comment

Originally posted by malandri
          Hello all,

Just came back from a computer shop where I had my old laptop's hard disk replaced. I paid £79 pounds for the disk and £15 for the work. £79 pounds for a 40GB hard disk (hitachi HTS424040M9AT00) did sound excessive, but I have lost contact with the market really as I haven't needed to buy a new laptop for 4-5 years.

Well, coming back in the office I was told by a colleague that this disk costs between 39 and 44 pounds online. I understand that I would pay more in a shop but I paid almost double... How thick of me!

Apart from being punished for being thick , any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks
          Online Price
          Disk £44
          Delivery £10
          Calls to Customer Support when it turns up fecked £10
          Return postage £10
          Your time Fitting HDD 10mins @ Contractor Rate £10ish
          Your time Reloading O/S 90mins @ Contractors Rate £90ish

Total Cost £174

You Paid less than 1/2 of that - Were you ripped off?
          Last edited by wc2; 22 September 2006, 19:08.
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Not that unreasonable for the labour. Desktops are easy, you can replace a disk in under 10 minutes, but have you ever tried replacing a disk in a laptop?? Must be 3.8 million x 10^96 screws and they are all different sizes.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
              Not that unreasonable for the labour. Desktops are easy, you can replace a disk in under 10 minutes, but have you ever tried replacing a disk in a laptop?? Must be 3.8 million x 10^96 screws and they are all different sizes.
              The labour was another 15 pounds. He didn't install any software, I am doing that. In total I paid 94. He did it in front of me, took him 20 min to manage to get to the disk. Indeed, laptops are hard to open

I think I should follow DimPrawns advice and forget about it. Had a bad day today, this and being for 2.5 hours in the M25 and M3 made it worse
              Last edited by malandri; 22 September 2006, 22:02.

Comment

On my laptop it is 1 screw to to remove the drive and its bay from the case. Then it is a further 4 screws which fix the drive itself to the bay. So changing it would take literally minutes.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X