• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving website to new host - don't know who owner of domain is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving website to new host - don't know who owner of domain is

Never done this one before but I have to move a website to another host.

Website has been up and running since 1997 & the people I'm working for inherited it when they took over the company. Whoever set it up, registered the domain etc is now long since gone.

Presumably though I need to have the authority of the registered owner of the site in order to move to the new host?

It would help if I knew what I was looking for. If I go to WhoIs for that domain I see there is info for:

Registrar - that's the name of the company who own the site
    Registrant - one & one
    Owner name - somebody's name & email address (who may or may not be contactable - it's an [email protected] address)

Am I correct in assuming that I need to get hold of the owner & they need to authorise the move or something?

There are normally 3 different sets of contact details in the whois info

Registrant
    Admin
    Tech

If one of the email in the contact details is still accessible by the company then you should be able to contact One & One and get them to send the login details for the portal that would be used to change the DNS to this email (it may not be as simple as this though). Otherwise you will need to contact One & One explain the situation and ask them how it can be sorted out. I assume this company is paying for the domain so try and get your hands on the last invoice so you can phone them up and say I want to discuss account XYZ which will give you a bit more credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
      There are normally 3 different sets of contact details in the whois info

Registrant
      Admin
      Tech

If one of the email in the contact details is still accessible by the company then you should be able to contact One & One and get them to send the login details for the portal that would be used to change the DNS to this email (it may not be as simple as this though). Otherwise you will need to contact One & One explain the situation and ask them how it can be sorted out. I assume this company is paying for the domain so try and get your hands on the last invoice so you can phone them up and say I want to discuss account XYZ which will give you a bit more credibility.
      Unfortunately the company in the email address is not the same company that owns the website; I'm guessing it's a contact at a company who dealt with this website before it became the property of the current company.

Comment

Working...
      X