• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IT contracting moving towards developer centric contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IT contracting moving towards developer centric contracts

Hi,

Sysadmin here with the usual Windows Server, AD, Exchange and VMware vSphere (also vCloud) infrastructure experience (installing, configuring, admin etc).

Looking for a new contract soon and doing job searches at the usual suspects seems to show developer type jobs outweigh those of sysadmin and infrastructure.

Is this a trend others are seeing?

I've only been interested in the contract market for the last 18 months or so, but my impression is that the whole industry is dominated by dev type roles. I also get the impression from this place that most are devs.

Doesn't really matter though, so long as the roles you're after are still there!

Comment

Most of the big places I have worked at moved most of these roles offshore sadly, they tend to now just take on PMs, BAs and senior devs.

Which is a pain in the arse for the devs as you end up managing the offshores numpties.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Most of the big places I have worked at moved most of these roles offshore sadly, they tend to now just take on PMs, BAs and senior devs.

Which is a pain in the arse for the devs as you end up managing the offshores numpties.
        Not quite, often they are onshored numpties (who sadly won't listen even when you tell them how to do every single step of the task)..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads on whether to continue down a technical route or move to project management perhaps.

If I do continue down the technical route, I'll have to dust off my old programming books from when I was learning Java 18 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ikodel View Post
            Thanks for the advice.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads on whether to continue down a technical route or move to project management perhaps.

If I do continue down the technical route, I'll have to dust off my old programming books from when I was learning Java 18 years ago
            What makes you think you are cut out to be a project manager?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X