• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Pi anyone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    WHS.

If this Pi thing doesn't increase your day rate, get you laid, or go from 0 -60 in under 4 seconds, it seems as pointless as Celebrity Big Brother Dancing on Ice....
    You lack imagination.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

To be boring for a minute, this Pi 2 should allow me to run Owncloud and a Wordpress blog at acceptable speed, and to host both from my house. Presently I do that with a Sheevaplug, but this Pi seems significantly cheaper, faster and more widely supported. Being a Unix/Linux bod anyway, it overlaps with my skill area and is a good way to extend culrtural learnings.

Comment

The Pi looks interesting although I've never thought of anything useful to do with it

Comment

"unintentional educational bonus", is that a bug then?

BBC News - Raspberry Pi 2 is 'camera shy'

Comment

So I thought of two potential useful things.

I was thinking of getting something I could use with Netflix seeing as they refuse to support my telly or Sky box. Does anyone use a Pi for that?

Also I read there's a Chromecast equivalent. Does that mean I can waste hours on YouTube on my tablet but make the videos appear on the TV?

I could be persuaded to see the point if I could do those things. But what do I need? Everyone says its 25 quid but that's only if you want it open to the elements, don't want to connect it to anything,don't want to store anything on it, not even an operating system, and don't want to power it up.

Thoughts?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              So I thought of two potential useful things.

I was thinking of getting something I could use with Netflix seeing as they refuse to support my telly or Sky box. Does anyone use a Pi for that?

Also I read there's a Chromecast equivalent. Does that mean I can waste hours on YouTube on my tablet but make the videos appear on the TV?

I could be persuaded to see the point if I could do those things. But what do I need? Everyone says its 25 quid but that's only if you want it open to the elements, don't want to connect it to anything,don't want to store anything on it, not even an operating system, and don't want to power it up.

Thoughts?
              see XBMC / Kodi (new name) for netflix etc.

XBMC on one. I use one of mine as a cheap squeezeplayer. Have FHEM running on the other, may swap to openhab. Something 4 times as fast would be interesting.

not bad for £25 naked and the community round it makes it worthwhile.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X