• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 monitors - one HDMI port; adapter?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 monitors - one HDMI port; adapter?

Looking to get two outputs from the two Dell monitors at client site. Client laptop only has one HDMI port and nothing else.

Require an adapter of some kind?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Looking to get two outputs from the two Dell monitors at client site. Client laptop only has one HDMI port and nothing else.

Require an adapter of some kind?

TIA

qh
    You will need a USB to HDMI type driver, such as those provided by DisplayLink as well as the relevant connector.

DisplayLink: Windows Software
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Don't forget that at a pinch you can extend the desktop using the laptop monitor and one external monitor, and you can configure windows to have the start menu on either, and also align them so that they match their proximity to each other. It's not perfect, but any port in a storm! Especially if USB is partially blocked where you work
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

You can't get output from a monitor - you get the output from the graphics adapter on the compute device - laptop/PC/tablet etc. and INPUT it in the display.

In normal circumstances the output ports like the HDMI on a laptop can only be used with a single display, unless the manufacturer designed the port in a way that would allow a proprietary spliter to be used in order to separate the output to more than 1 display (extremely rare).

I'm afraid your only dual display option without changing the laptop is to use the laptop display alongside 1 external display.

Comment

Working...
        X