• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of favourable comments here and elsewhere about WP, Drupal etc. so I can only conclude that the expert who charged my sister almost £4000 for an awful WP website that took nearly a minute to load every page was just a total idiot. Every image was present in multiple sizes, up to 13!, WTF that was about I have no idea.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Plenty of favourable comments here and elsewhere about WP, Drupal etc. so I can only conclude that the expert who charged my sister almost £4000 for an awful WP website that took nearly a minute to load every page was just a total idiot. Every image was present in multiple sizes, up to 13!, WTF that was about I have no idea.
      Ouch - sounds like a rip off monkey can you not go in and fix it for her? WP is fairly easy to play with, especially if a standard free theme has been used.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I've done commercial contract work on sites built on both WordPress and Drupal.

The WP one was pretty weird, actually: we only used WP's admin as a content management system, because the various people within the organisation who would be producing content were already familiar with it from other internal uses of it. The usual public-facing parts of WP weren't used at all. The content was then extracted over HTTP via a JSON API (provided by a WordPress plugin) by a Node task running as a cron job and rendered into static HTML using server-side jQuery (yes, really), as well as being used to plug the same content into a PhoneGap (now Cordova) mobile app

I was not responsible for coming up with this unusual workflow, which I suspect reflected the desire of a certain person at the client's to just do some stuff with these various technologies. (I did try to shoehorn XSLT in there, because I like XSLT, but sadly it proved to be impractical to fit it in anywhere )

The Drupal stuff was more straightforward commercial sites, where my involvement was mainly limited to putting together HTML templates, CSS, and JS for the front end.
        : That is the most bizarre set up I have come across. Well done trying to sneak in XSLT as well into the mix. I bet someone currently is trying to support the whole thing and is tearing his hair out
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
        X