• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SEO on unimportant pages/links.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO on unimportant pages/links.

Thought I'd try and improve my site's SEO and ran it through Microsoft's Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Toolkit.

Brings up a lot of "errors" which were actually deliberate. Obviously one needs good SEO for important product pages but do you really need headers, keywords etc. on a "Terms and Conditions" page, or proper link text on something that just says "Click here to contact us" ?

Or should I mark such pages as nofollow perhaps? Ta for any ideas.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Bah! Don't think I believe this utility. How can an image have a missing <h1> tag?????????????????????????
    bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yeah sounds like a crog of poop Xog. I wouldn't nofollow the Terms and Conditions page, not as a matter of course but have done it on more complex sites before to try and conserve page rank. Yes, your products pages and category pages (if you have them) are the ones to pay attention to, good on page SEO is as the cacky tool picked up and you appear to know about already - good page title, good headings, good descriptive text etc. There really isn't a lot more to it than that. The most important things still are links though, get some good links from websites to do with your niche and they will be the biggest thing you can do if you have all the on-site stuff sorted already. If you want to PM me the site would be happy to check it over for you and see if I can offer bespoke advice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        If you want to PM me the site would be happy to check it over for you and see if I can offer bespoke advice for you.
        I'd snap his arm off, if I were you Xog.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ta for answers.

Not sure about the arm snapping. His avatar looks a bit fierce. Is that a hammer and sickle on his chest?
          Last edited by xoggoth; 10 January 2015, 17:17.
          bloggoth

Comment

No, not a commie!! It's the Lambda. The avatar is Gordon Freeman from the best series of games ever:
            Lambda logo - Half-Life Wiki

Comment

Does that mean CUK is Black Mesa, or the Combine?

Comment

still waiting for number 3

Comment

Actually, on further use, I think this tool is pretty useful

Because it analyses the whole site it picks up things others do not, for example, that I wrongly had the same image under two different names.

It is still telling me that an image with a missing <h1> tag is a broken link in some pages, although the image concerned is not mentioned anywhere in my pages. However, I find it is the hoster's logo image which was in the root automatically and I deleted because it did not seem necessary, so suspect the hosters are doing summit weird in their settings.

Update:
                  Aaaah! It's shown in the default error pages 400.shtml etc. I didn't bother to change.Still no idea why a missing h1 though
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 17 January 2015, 19:02.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                  X