• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else got a Raspberry Pi?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    That's harsh. Say post-1995 instead. At least for games running straight on the metal (like Doom/pyDoom). Not tried the MAME emulator though, having said that. Cracks opening in my argument here, so I will gloss over them all by saying all the best games were pre-1985.
    I've found plenty that work OK using the MAME emulators that ship with Retropie.

Anything too new will run slowly (but in some games that's an advantage as you can actually think a little bit - particularly if you're a button basher like I am), but some of the classics work fine

Ryu: So, you wanna head to Tappers, Ken?
    Ken: If you're buyin' buddy.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It was when I realised that I'd have to filter out half my collection to make the project worthwhile that I decided to change gears. There was some very good stuff from the 90s, but the 80s will always be my fave; especially the stuff from the first half of the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        It was when I realised that I'd have to filter out half my collection to make the project worthwhile that I decided to change gears. There was some very good stuff from the 90s, but the 80s will always be my fave; especially the stuff from the first half of the decade.
        You are Eugene Evans in drag and I claim my £5!

Comment

Not seen any news on here about this.

Raspberry Pi 3 adds wi-fi and Bluetooth - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Get one or two, and download the kano OS from Kano - Make a Computer - it's designed to get kids started, has rewards that they can track online etc. and builds up different things that they do.

We already had a Pi so I just downloaded the OS, but we also bought the kano kit via Kickstarter which came with everything you'd need (apart from a screen) and they had fun building and decorating the new Pi.

Once they've got through the basics, have a look at something like Super Scratch Adventure, or Adventures in Raspberry Pi which are great to give them some more ideas. We also have some Python books which they've not looked at yet.

Even if they never want to use a computer or become a programmer, there are some good skills that programming teaches you whatever course of life you take.
            For a 9 year old would you recommend the kano OS and kit over and above the standard raspberry OS? My assumption is kano is more child friendly to get them started and thereafter they can always wipe kano and get onto what I assume is a more advanced OS?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              For a 9 year old would you recommend the kano OS and kit over and above the standard raspberry OS? My assumption is kano is more child friendly to get them started and thereafter they can always wipe kano and get onto what I assume is a more advanced OS?
              Standard OS you'll have to look out for things to do and get them installed and set up for them. With kano OS the software is all ready to go - my kids love it because they can get rewards to do things, or they can just play around as they want to.

You don't have to buy the kano kit if you have enough to get it going, but part of the fun is building the case and everything as they start. One thing that my kids struggle with is the touchpad though, so I bought a USB hub and a mouse from the pound shop to make it easier for them.

And when they outgrow kano, you can put any other OS on instead.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X