• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Configuration Management (Puppet or alternative)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configuration Management (Puppet or alternative)

ClientCo wants something to capture server configurations etc for a programme of work, will be at most 50-75 servers (so rules out Chef as want to go down the free route) and will be a mix of Oracle Linux and WinTel, anyone used Puppet, how easy/hard is it to pick up and learn, are there any better options out there.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    ClientCo wants something to capture server configurations etc for a programme of work, will be at most 50-75 servers (so rules out Chef as want to go down the free route) and will be a mix of Oracle Linux and WinTel, anyone used Puppet, how easy/hard is it to pick up and learn, are there any better options out there.
    Puppet's not free either, though there is a cut-down free version with limitations I believe.

Is the intention so build from these configurations? If so xCAT is what you want, it's free, but the learning curve is very steep, they all are really. From what I've seen, xCAT is the most powerful, does AIX too, physicals, VM's, builds from the server IMM/LOM/FSP and even build Bladecenters.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      how easy/hard is it to pick up and learn, are there any better options out there.
      I've only used Puppet on Linux, and never on Windows machines.
      There is quite a big initial learning curve in my opinion, but it's not too hard to get your head around.

Using something like The Foreman helps fill the gap between Puppet Open Source, and Puppet Enterprise

Comment

You can always set up your own Chef server rather than paying. You don't get their "bonus" offerings like analytics and such, but if all you really need is config management it might be an idea.

Good luck trying to follow the Chef documentation though - it's utterly abysmal

Comment

I would personally recommend something like Ansible or Puppet. If you are wanting it free, then the open source versions will work.

Puppet is a steep learning curve for Windows Administrators, as it is a new way of thinking, and requires some programming knowledge.
          Kind Regards,

Paul

Comment

The client co already has a puppet working there....

EDIT : Oh sorry, that's a muppet I was thinking of
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X