• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two email accounts on Android

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two email accounts on Android

I have a personal gmail account on my android phone. I currently use this for work, too, but ideally I'd like to have a separate work email address.

I want to be able to use the second account easily on my android phone.

Do any of you do similar? And what works best from an 'ease of use' perspective?

Two gmail accounts or one gmail and one outlook/ yahoo/ a.n.other?

I have four or five Gmail / Google Apps accounts on my phone at the same time. It's dead easy to flick between them - in the very early versions of Android, you couldn't have multiple Gmail accounts, but it's been about five years since they introduced it (I guess).

In the past I've also added an exchange account with little difficulty, and when I used to check my hotmail account, I had hotmail and Gmail running together.

I think that Android 5.0 might remove the separate mail app and put everything in one Gmail place, but I may have misread that.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm on Android 4.4.2 and use the mail app for Myco email and gmail for my other stuff no problem. MrsB uses the mail app for Hotmail and gmail for other stuff. I know you can set up the app to add more accounts but i don't have the need for it.

Comment

K9 Mail

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          K9 Mail
          Seconded.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My Android has 3 exchange accounts and 2 gmail accounts. You'll be fine!

Comment

I'll have a look at K9 and see how it works as well as setting up a second gmail account.

I read that gmail on android is being revamped with the Lollipop release and so hopefully multiple accounts will be easier to handle.

I'm most hopeful though, that they find a way past this conversation view. I hate it.
              Last edited by JRCT; 27 October 2014, 09:17.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                I'll have a look at K9 and see how it works as well as setting up a second gmail account.

I read that gmail on android is being revamped with the Lollipop release and so hopefully multiple accounts will be easier to handle.

I'm most hopeful though, that they find a way past this conversation view. I hate it.
                You're never going to get past conversation view, because that's how Gmail works and always has. It's been like that for 8 or 9 years at least, so it must be working enough for people to like it like that.

I had a quick look at K9 at the weekend, but couldn't see what it did better / differently than the standard Gmail app. I didn't spend a great deal of time on it, though, just a browse around the documentation and then I gave up.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had a look at K9 too, and uninstalled after an hour or two. I can't say that there is anything wrong with the default Gmail and Email apps?

I can't stand "noisy" apps and K9 appeared to have been just that...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    You're never going to get past conversation view, because that's how Gmail works and always has. It's been like that for 8 or 9 years at least, so it must be working enough for people to like it like that.

I had a quick look at K9 at the weekend, but couldn't see what it did better / differently than the standard Gmail app. I didn't spend a great deal of time on it, though, just a browse around the documentation and then I gave up.

There are hundreds and hundreds of complaints to Google about this. But they don't seem to be bothered about fixing it. I don't have conversation view on my laptop, but on my phone I can't change it.

What I don't understand about the conversation view is, I send an email to Bob and Steve saying "Alright?"

Bob replies after 20 minutes saying "Fine. You?" and it's only at this point do I then see that Steve replied 15 minutes ago saying "No. My dog's dead"

Not only that, I then reply to Steve to say "Sorry to hear that." and Bob replies to Steve to say "I didn't know you had a dog" and each time any subsequent replies come through, I'm always faced with Bob's first "Fine. You?" message at the top and the new one somewhere in the middle for me to 'discover'.

And if Steve sends us both an attached photo to prove to Bob he did have a dog, well that attachement is long gone once we're into the depths of conversation.

Shame. It was a lovely dog as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X