• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website with SQL server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website with SQL server

Hi folks....I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm a complete novice when it comes to building websits, but it's something I'd like to explore. I've been thinking about something I'd like to build and I though about a website for my business and within it, have a simple database that I can use to submit my expenses as and when I incurr them eg on my phone etc. So I figured, as I have copy of Visual Studio and SQL server they would be the obvious (if not over the top) tools to build it with.

I've bought my domain and it is capable of hosting SQL server databases. I have a laptop with the required tools installed. Does anybody know of any good resources that will show me how to get something like this up and ruinning. I've done a few bits of HTML and CSS and while not an expert I can muddle through on that bit. I have no idea how I put together a website that talks to a SQL server backend.

Cheers in advance
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

I use Freeola (www.freeola.net), which gives SQL Server support for a small uplift and Wordpress as the CMS. Seems to work out fairly well. Freeola also have their own basic but effective website builder if you just want something simple.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cheers - I have the domain and web space along with SQL database support via GoDaddy. I don't know if they were/are any good, but it seems to give me what I need. I have built a couple of tables in the SQL database but I don't know how to build the front end to the DB or place it onto a website. Ideally I'd like to build the website myself instead of using one of those site builders - unless that's a stupid idea these days....like I said, I'm a complete novice when it comes to the web
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Why not install Joomla or similar and then find a decent expense manager extension.

Cost Calculators - Joomla! Extensions Directory

The joomla installation is probably scripted and so you could be up and running in about 5 mins.

https://support.godaddy.com/help/art...osting-account

Comment

PHP and MySQL is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

But if you can program, then picking up PHP is fairly straightforward, and the leap between SQL server and MySQL can't be that hard (I've found the syntax near identical to Oracle).

FWIW, I'd install Wordpress or similar, and have a play around in there. Download some plugins, pull them apart and try your own.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              PHP and MySQL is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

But if you can program, then picking up PHP is fairly straightforward, and the leap between SQL server and MySQL can't be that hard (I've found the syntax near identical to Oracle).

FWIW, I'd install Wordpress or similar, and have a play around in there. Download some plugins, pull them apart and try your own.
              So he has a copy of Visual Studio, SQL Server and has his hosting setup for this and your advice is to try PHP and MySQL. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                Hi folks....I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm a complete novice when it comes to building websits, but it's something I'd like to explore.
                When you say explore what do you mean? So, do you want to get this app up and running ASAP. Or do you want to learn a technology.

If you want to learn to develop then invest in a Pluralsight trial.

Or if you search amazon there is an excellent book by Steve Sanderson - MVC - I think its a couple of ASP.NET MVC versions behind but it's a fantastic starter book. Also has a basic web app that you can download.

The only downside to these books is that they use Entity Framework to access the DB. Use dapper or something else. Lots of online stuff about it and makes your DB access easy.

Another way forward is to fire up Visual Studio and create an MVC site from the template in VS. I rarely use it but I think the template out of the box is fully functioning, so db access, login etc. Might be a good place to start.
                Last edited by woohoo; 9 October 2014, 12:12. Reason: bit more info.

Comment

I want to learn the technology - I don't expect to become a developer in it, but I'd like to be able to dabble in it!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    I want to learn the technology - I don't expect to become a developer in it, but I'd like to be able to dabble in it!
                    So set up a free hosted site at Wordpress.com and write some .php extensions and plugins. There's a huge help library on there as well.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X