• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website with SQL server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Php is not what the cool kids are doing. Python or node is what the cool kids currently write
    U sure its not AngularJS with NodeJS and MongoDB?

Cool stuff but probably not what the OP needs. .Net w/ SQL Server is a very good platform. Its what I use everyday!
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Most websites that I've developed have been with Visual Studio, most have a DB. With the odd exception SQL server. I think VS + Sql server is an excellent choice for web development. ASP.NET MVC is an excellent and mature product. Visual Studio is arguably the best IDE out there. I'm struggling to understand your comment, my assumption is that you don't know anything about VS and SQL server.
      +1 for this robust, mature, common architecture so you never need to buy people on high rates due to obscure tech stacks.

so many advantages of this that unless what you are trying to do cannot be done using these tools then use these tools.

Comment

If you do want to dabble and use a SQL backend then SQL Server Express edn is free to download.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Late joiner to this thread (and my first post in ContractorUK!)
          In short the solution to your problem depends on what you want to achieve with your website.
          I wouldn't recommend programming in PHP/Python/SQL or any other language if you are unfamiliar with scripting. Some of the packaged tools that come with hosting sites are quite nice and I presume there are some good website building tools out there as well. However they all have to link together etc to get your site up and running.
          It sounds to me like you (OP) are new to this and would greatly benefit with a chat from a friend in IT. However from what I know already I think using the tools the hosting site provides will allow you to build up a simple site to give you an 'online presence'. Once you get more used to the technologies you can then consider incorporating databases, SQL and possibly even PHP/Python scripting.

From a professional standpoint I would use a flavour of Unix, Python, MySQL and Apache (all free) to build a site.

Comment

Working...
          X