• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone use bash?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    IIRC the default package manager for Ubuntu is apt-get, but odd-numbered releases removed: turns out they've made it even more recondite than that don't get long term support so

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade bash
    probably won't work for you.

It looks like the alternative is to upgrade bash from source: having made sure the system is backed up, follow the instructions in the accepted answer at linux - How do I patch the shellshock vulnerability on an obsolete Ubuntu system that I can't upgrade? - Super User

If practicable, you should consider updating the box to either the current stable release, or at least to 12 which gets maintained for five years, taking you up to April 2017.
    Cheers for that, ill have a look over the weekend.

Maybe it is about time I upgraded though.

Comment

upgraded my servers from 11 to 14 today.

4 hours in total so not too bad a hit.

I think I might go and have a pint now.

Comment

Apple now has a patch for OS X. I assume it will appear in Software Update soon, but if you can't wait, this post has links: https://applespotlight.com/2014/09/2...vulnerability/

Comment

Apple now has a patch for OS X. I assume it will appear in Software Update soon, but if you can't wait, this post has links: https://applespotlight.com/2014/09/2...vulnerability/
          Ta. Not that I was overly worried. It was just annoying me that I knew there was a solution out there and seeing "Checking for updates... No updates available"

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Just install Windows. Problem start.
            FTFY
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep. Apple products are not vulnerable, so here's a patch.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The IBM HMC appliance is completely vulnerable, you can switch to root after the exploit, normally locked out since all users have pesh as their shell and can't even su or run bash.

Means you can amongst other things, totally destroy an LPAR or even trash the frames that HMC administers.

Of course, you'd need to get to the HMC first...

Comment

Working...
                X