• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV Solutions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Solutions?

I'm cheesed off with Sky, I never watch it, use my Sky+ box for recording mainly freeview channels, the Beeb etc. As for Game of Thrones etc. I'm happy enough to download from elsewhere.

So, I've looked at Freeview PVRs (e.g. Humax) and there are enough bad reviews (on Amazon) to make me wonder if anyone does a decent recorder these days where the software isn't rubbish. And the prices!! I was hoping for a cheapo solution but a Humax box will cost me a year's Sky subscription (£200) so where's the saving?!

What TV solution do you use? (I don't need BT Sport or Sky Sport or F1)

Keeping the record facility on my Sky+ box will cost £10 p.m. so I may as well keep the basic £22 p.m. sub going and get Sky Atlantic.

Yes, I know I should ask the butler to sort this out, but I'm all those direct debits (Netflix, Sky, ADSL, dentist, BUPA) add up so I had to let him go

You can find the bt version of a free view box on eBay for about £80.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I'm cheesed off with Sky, I never watch it, use my Sky+ box for recording mainly freeview channels, the Beeb etc. As for Game of Thrones etc. I'm happy enough to download from elsewhere.

So, I've looked at Freeview PVRs (e.g. Humax) and there are enough bad reviews (on Amazon) to make me wonder if anyone does a decent recorder these days where the software isn't rubbish. And the prices!! I was hoping for a cheapo solution but a Humax box will cost me a year's Sky subscription (£200) so where's the saving?!

Keeping the record facility on my Sky+ box will cost £10 p.m. so I may as well keep the basic £22 p.m. sub going and get Sky Atlantic.

Yes, I know I should ask the butler to sort this out, but I'm all those direct debits (Netflix, Sky, ADSL, dentist, BUPA) add up so I had to let him go
      I got the Humax HD PVR a while back everyone in TV geekdom raved about - it was rubbish. I've gone back to the Sky HD box, does what it says it can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I bought a Sony media centre in 2005 for £500.
        I've since upgraded to Win Vista, then Win 7.
        Upgraded to dual tuner capture.
        Added 1tb disk.
        Fair enough it's cost a little to upgrade but it's nearly 10 years old and does the job perfectly.
        That works out at £800 / 9 years = £89 per year.
        I also think it's got the best tv guide interface out there. It's also wife proof (v important).
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I have had a Humax PVR for a few years and am very happy with it.

I will happily buy another one later this year.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have a look at YouView, there are two boxes go for the more expensive Humax, availble in 500gb, 1tb or 2tb

Buy Humax DTR-T1010 YouView Smart 1TB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder | John Lewis
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Have a look at YouView, there are two boxes go for the more expensive Humax, availble in 500gb, 1tb or 2tb

Buy Humax DTR-T1010 YouView Smart 1TB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder | John Lewis
              There is a reason why I recommend the BT freeview box as its just a rebranded version of the dtr-t1010 or dtr-t2010 if yougo for the newer smaller box.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                There is a reason why I recommend the BT freeview box as its just a rebranded version of the dtr-t1010 or dtr-t2010 if yougo for the newer smaller box.
                Isn't it with BT firmware which is a PITA
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Isn't it with BT firmware which is a PITA
                  Can't say I've noticed it. All their tulip is hidden behind a button which I never ever press. And until you do it's just a standard freeview box with a freeview look and feel

Comment

I still use 2 original TiVo boxes (non-cable variety) which are fantastic!
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X