• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless keyboard + KVM switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless keyboard + KVM switch

Has anyone done this?

I want to be able to switch PC’s from a wireless keyboard using a hot key. Seen this done from a wired PS/2 keyboard, but I am wondering if a wireless keyboard could be made to work?
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
    Has anyone done this?

I want to be able to switch PC’s from a wireless keyboard using a hot key. Seen this done from a wired PS/2 keyboard, but I am wondering if a wireless keyboard could be made to work?
    Should work fine as long as the keyboard uses an external reciever that plugs into a standard ps/2 port.

I've got a kvm switch and wireless keyboard/mouse at home. I have a play tonight and let you know.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I used to use a wireless Keybd & mouse via a KVM. No probs with the KVM working but the wireless keybd used to insert random chars if you repeatedly pressed the same ke i.e the left arrow key. Right pain in the @rse. Now use wired kebd and wireless mouse through KVM no probs.

HTH

Comment

I think it can be done, but the only wireless keyboard (back in the office) has a USB thingy. It's not mine; I've never really played with it. All of our KVM switches are wired and have no hot key. I’ve looked around and the ones I found said that they were PS/2 only with hot key. I know about USB <-> PS/2 adaptors; but does something get lost in translation that will stop the hot key working from the wireless keyboard?
        Last edited by CaribbeanPirate; 6 September 2006, 09:48. Reason: Ops, added no to 'have hot key'
        Blair, you cannot reach me now,
        No matter how you try,
        Goodbye cruel Labour,
        Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
          I think it can be done, but the only wireless keyboard (back in the office) has a USB thingy. It's not mine; I've never really played with it. All of our KVM switches are wired and have hot key. I’ve looked around and the ones I found said that they were PS/2 only with hot key. I know about USB <-> PS/2 adaptors; but does something get lost in translation that will stop the hot key working from the wireless keyboard?

Never had a problem with the USB PS/2 converters. All it's doing is a hardware conversion of the wiring layout.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Never had a problem with them here although I haven't used wireless keyboards that much (The batteries cost money you know!!)

Comment

Working...
            X