• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2-in-1 laptop/tablet recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-in-1 laptop/tablet recommendations

I'm down visiting mum and one task is to sort her out a new laptop as hers is Xperia.

Looking in currys she was quite taken with an HP laptop with screen which detaches as a windows 8 tablet. Only to be told there are none in stock nationwide and no replacement model is in the pipeline.

Anyone here got something similar they can recommend, in the sub £550 range?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm down visiting mum and one task is to sort her out a new laptop as hers is Xperia.

Looking in currys she was quite taken with an HP laptop with screen which detaches as a windows 8 tablet. Only to be told there are none in stock nationwide and no replacement model is in the pipeline.

At that price point you are looking at the Asus Transformer, but would be very fiddly for someone of age lets say, if you had a better budget I would take a look at the Levano Yoga
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Why don't you order it from HP direct Laptops & Tablets - HP Store UK
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I did spot that one - I think it's the updated version. But I've seen bad reports on HP's customer service - loads of reviews say "if you buy this, buy it on Amazon" and it's not there yet.

Also she prefers buying locally so she can physically go into a store and ask for help (or make a scene if needed if they won't help).

The Transformer or even a surface RT caught my eye but the screen is just that little too small. The one we liked best was the previous Split X2 14" at £529 but they had none. We since found that despite the shop staff claiming otherwise, the smaller HP Pavilion X2 11.6" IS on stock for "deliver to store" at £349.99, and hope to get that today. It's actually quite neat and she has a proper keyboard/mouse/monitor she can plug it into for proper typing (she's an ex-typist so demands the ability to touch-type)
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I grabbed a Samsung ATIV Smart PC XE700T1C a few months back, which I tend to use almost all the time as a tablet.....but the keyboard is very usable, too. Not so many places to find at the moment, especially bundled with the Samsung keyboard, but try here

Great piece of kit, notably more potent than most of the other 'transformer' machines, as it runs a Core i5
          Pricewise, seems not to be quite as good as a few months ago - I paid just under £400 - but.....
          latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

I bought a second hand Lenovo Yoga with 3rd generation i5, memory upgraded to 8gb, second 256gb SSD added. It's great, too heavy to hold as a tablet for long but flip the screen 280degrees or so and it acts as a tablet with an infinitely adjustable stand, bringing the screen within easy reach, on a train stand it up as an A shape, if you need to type, fold to normal laptop mode. Wakes from hibernate in seconds and battery life is around 5 hrs due to the SSDs.

Comment

Working...
            X