• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone use GIMP on a Mac?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use GIMP on a Mac?

I have a niece in NZ who is trying to install GIMP on a Mac OS X 10.9.4 and it won't install anyone know why - I am not a mac user so clueless

TIA

Answer: she has OS X 10.9.4 and needs 10.9.11
    Last edited by tractor; 11 July 2014, 08:37.

I use it my old mac. I think that I needed to install X-Quartz to get it running.

How to install GIMP on mac OS X 10.5.2 or greater

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
      I use it my old mac. I think that I needed to install X-Quartz to get it running.

How to install GIMP on mac OS X 10.5.2 or greater
      WRDS.

Gimp isn't a natural bedfellow of Mac. I use Acorn instead.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not exactly on topic, but why would you use Gimp, when the old full versions of Photoshop CS are free?

Comment

There is no OSX 10.9.11 - I think 10.9.4 is out to developers at the moment, I've gone all 10.10 tho!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Not exactly on topic, but why would you use Gimp, when the old full versions of Photoshop CS are free?
            Did they end up releasing it free? Sounds like it was a mistake from what I've read.

Personally prefer Gimp as I've used it for years so familiar with it. PS is nice but doesn't do anything extra I need that Gimp can't do and it won't run on my Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
              Did they end up releasing it free? Sounds like it was a mistake from what I've read.
              Ahh, thanks for enlightening me, didn't know that was the case at the end.

Comment

Not sure why there would be a problem - the download from GIMP - Downloads is just a disk image containing an app you drag into your Applications folder, there's no installation process beyond that. It used to need things like X11, but now it's a native OS X build. Can she provide any more detail as to the actual problem she's encountering?

As stek says, 10.9.4 is the latest version of OS X. There is no 10.9.11.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Not sure why there would be a problem - the download from GIMP - Downloads is just a disk image containing an app you drag into your Applications folder, there's no installation process beyond that. It used to need things like X11, but now it's a native OS X build. Can she provide any more detail as to the actual problem she's encountering?

As stek says, 10.9.4 is the latest version of OS X. There is no 10.9.11.
                  I can't remember what problem I had, I just remember not being able to fully install it (I should have asked on here )
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Most problems tend to be related to the fact that it's GIMP, and it's in desperate need of some interface re-design.

Comment

Working...
                    X