• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fresh install W8 -> 8.1 now HTTP data is blocked???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh install W8 -> 8.1 now HTTP data is blocked???

I've just set up Windows 8 on a new SSD I bought for my old laptop, everything was working fine apart from reluctance to accepting the licence key.
    I then upgraded to Windows 8.1 and now none of the browsers work but I can download Windows Updates and ping google.com successfully via PowerShell.
    I have disabled Windows Firewall and HMA is turned off. Neither MalwareBytes nor Windows Defender have identified any issues.

What could I do to investigate where the blockage is and what is stopping (what seems to be) http traffic?

Download the official version from Microsoft and reinstall?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Download the official version from Microsoft and reinstall?
      This is the proper version...

Comment

Did you try different internet connection?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Did you try different internet connection?
          I'm looking for my USB WiFi thingie to do exactly that.

What's really strange is that traffic that doesn't go via HTTP is fine, Windows updates, me browsing my home network etc.

Comment

Do a fresh install?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Do a fresh install?
              Again!!!
              Might be the only way or just run Server 2012 trial for another year...

Tried tethering to my mobile, all looked fine but no browser activity, same goes for hooking it to the router via network cable.
              Last edited by zazou; 11 July 2014, 21:29.

Comment

I meant do the fresh install using 8.1 not an upgrade from 8?

Comment

Not musch experience on win 8, but on win 7 I would try:

turn firewall off and try ?

turn off av & browsing proxies.

make sure I turn them all back on when I'm done (for the pedants).

make sure the network location was correct

do a ping & nslookup to check dns.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Call MS. If Win 8 refused the key they can reactivate it for you. You might have to go back to the Win 8 install though and then do the 8.1 update.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                    X