• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Don't listen to the doom mongers mate. I'm a hardworking jack of all trades and had nearly 18 years of contracting, getting by with just a cute smile, make 'em laugh attitude and a much bigger than average whang. Play to your strengths and you'll be fine
    I'm not a doom monger, al I'm saying is to apply for jobs where you can offer something of immediate relevance. Going for a job just becuase you've done some bits of it isn't going to work.

I'm bascially a generalilst myself, with a practical working knowledge of almost any area of IT you can mention bar coding (shudder...), but I major in Service Management and/or Programme Management to get me past the agency wonks: even then, I often get kicked back for the lack of some (usually irrelevant)specific technical or vertical knowledge. Once I'm talking to the hirer I can usually persuade them I know what I'm doing.

But going into that market cold, or with unrealistic expectations, is likely to be an unnpleasant experience.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by UsefulG View Post
    I've been hands on all the time that I've been a manager so I have the day to day operational skills but the technology in my current job is so old (MS 2003 server etc) I need to get hands on newer stuff. I will never get that here so If I go it will be an uncertain future with the skillset I have or stay and become totally irrelevant. Not a great choice.

Is there no hope for a hardworking jack of all trades?
    Don't listen to the doom mongers mate. I'm a hardworking jack of all trades and had nearly 18 years of contracting, getting by with just a cute smile, make 'em laugh attitude and a much bigger than average whang. Play to your strengths and you'll be fine

Leave a comment:

• UsefulG
    replied
    I've been hands on all the time that I've been a manager so I have the day to day operational skills but the technology in my current job is so old (MS 2003 server etc) I need to get hands on newer stuff. I will never get that here so If I go it will be an uncertain future with the skillset I have or stay and become totally irrelevant. Not a great choice.

Is there no hope for a hardworking jack of all trades?

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    WMALS + 1

To improve your chances, you need to have a ‘skill’ that stands out. Focus on something on your CV that is your area of ‘expertise’. If you aren’t currently an ‘expert’ in that area brush up on it and blag it (this could be a problem if you’ve been pushing paper for years ).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• JoeyD
    replied
    Thank you for backing me up Mr UK !!

I learned evrything I know from you

Peace & Regards,

Joe !!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    You could be more helpful.

And 'Tis not too bad G. There's always work to be found ' is helpful?

Reading the guides is the best piece of advice you can give the OP and others in this situation. It has a wealth of knowledge to go research before asking daft questions.

NLUK didn't know Mal was the winner the 2 years before lol....

But I do agree with Mal, Contracting isn't really a place for generalists. They might be useful when they get in a gig but trying to get the gig first is going to be incredibly difficult.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeyD View Post
    From my research, it appears this title is held by a poster known as NLUK.

If you bothered to try using the search facility, you would know that !
    What NLUK won't tell you is that for the previous two years it was me.

So clearly being irritating is a key requirement.

As for the OP's question, it's not that clever for generalists. The agencies are awash with candidates, and awash with tits with three month's experience pretending to be agents sifting the applications (the bigger ones have taken this further and use key word searching to select CVs...) If you aren't already doing the specific role now you likely won't get anywhere, no matter how good you are at it. Be very careful about what goes in the CV, and before you call the agent to talk about the role, look them up on LinkedIn, just to check they know enough to blow their nose without a user manual and so may be able to make a decision.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyD
    replied
    I’m unfamiliar with this award. What are the credentials for the candidates?!

Maybe I'm in with a shout.

From my research, it appears this title is held by a poster known as NLUK.

If you bothered to try using the search facility, you would know that !

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    I thought that piece of advice might make me 'CUK Forum Personality Of The Year 2013'
    I’m unfamiliar with this award. What are the credentials for the candidates?!

Maybe I'm in with a shout.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyD
    replied

I thought that piece of advice might make me 'CUK Forum Personality Of The Year 2013'

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    You should search the newbie guides ------------------------>

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by UsefulG View Post
    Hello all, another nervous newbie here looking to move back into contracting after too long as a permie. I've started the ball rolling and set up the limited company but I'm leery of jumping, what is the market like for an IT Manager with 15 years generalist skills?
    Tis not too bad G. There's always work to be found

Leave a comment:

• JoeyD
    replied
    You should search the newbie guides ------------------------>

Leave a comment:

• UsefulG
    started a topic Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job

Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job

Hello all, another nervous newbie here looking to move back into contracting after too long as a permie. I've started the ball rolling and set up the limited company but I'm leery of jumping, what is the market like for an IT Manager with 15 years generalist skills?

Working...
X