• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMALS + 1

To improve your chances, you need to have a ‘skill’ that stands out. Focus on something on your CV that is your area of ‘expertise’. If you aren’t currently an ‘expert’ in that area brush up on it and blag it (this could be a problem if you’ve been pushing paper for years ).

HTH
    one day at a time

Comment

I've been hands on all the time that I've been a manager so I have the day to day operational skills but the technology in my current job is so old (MS 2003 server etc) I need to get hands on newer stuff. I will never get that here so If I go it will be an uncertain future with the skillset I have or stay and become totally irrelevant. Not a great choice.

Is there no hope for a hardworking jack of all trades?

Comment

Originally posted by UsefulG View Post
        I've been hands on all the time that I've been a manager so I have the day to day operational skills but the technology in my current job is so old (MS 2003 server etc) I need to get hands on newer stuff. I will never get that here so If I go it will be an uncertain future with the skillset I have or stay and become totally irrelevant. Not a great choice.

Is there no hope for a hardworking jack of all trades?
        Don't listen to the doom mongers mate. I'm a hardworking jack of all trades and had nearly 18 years of contracting, getting by with just a cute smile, make 'em laugh attitude and a much bigger than average whang. Play to your strengths and you'll be fine
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Don't listen to the doom mongers mate. I'm a hardworking jack of all trades and had nearly 18 years of contracting, getting by with just a cute smile, make 'em laugh attitude and a much bigger than average whang. Play to your strengths and you'll be fine
          I'm not a doom monger, al I'm saying is to apply for jobs where you can offer something of immediate relevance. Going for a job just becuase you've done some bits of it isn't going to work.

I'm bascially a generalilst myself, with a practical working knowledge of almost any area of IT you can mention bar coding (shudder...), but I major in Service Management and/or Programme Management to get me past the agency wonks: even then, I often get kicked back for the lack of some (usually irrelevant)specific technical or vertical knowledge. Once I'm talking to the hirer I can usually persuade them I know what I'm doing.

But going into that market cold, or with unrealistic expectations, is likely to be an unnpleasant experience.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X