• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Searching CUK Forums"

Collapse

• Alias
    replied
    Something like?

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"test please delete" "fed"-"bored" <-- 90 results

over

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"test please delete" "fed" "bored" <-- 37 results

?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That's the same as without the quotes. I guess it's as good as we're going to get. Can't think of a specific example, but thinking of when I've remembered a particular person using a word or phrase in a post.
    Ah well, maybe I just chose a bad example - I'll have another try later

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If "appear on the same page of a thread" is acceptable, remember that a phrase, in the sense of a search term surrounded by double-quotes, can be one word long. So if you put each word in quotes individually:

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "apocalypse" <- 4 results

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "chicago" <- 11 results

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "apocalypse" "chicago" <- 1 result

That's the same as without the quotes. I guess it's as good as we're going to get. Can't think of a specific example, but thinking of when I've remembered a particular person using a word or phrase in a post.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I guess I was asking if you could search for two words that appear in the same post, but not necessarily together. I suspect the answer is no.
    If "appear on the same page of a thread" is acceptable, remember that a phrase, in the sense of a search term surrounded by double-quotes, can be one word long. So if you put each word in quotes individually:

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "apocalypse" <- 4 results

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "chicago" <- 11 results

site:forums.contractoruk.com intitle:"monday links" "apocalypse" "chicago" <- 1 result

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You can put ""'s around the search term if you want to find a phrase.

Try the google search building. It will make the search for you so you can try different options.

Google Advanced Search

The results aren't irrelevant, they are all pages that contain those three words. I'm not really sure what you are asking. You can use an OR function between words or the '-' tp remove words.
    I guess I was asking if you could search for two words that appear in the same post, but not necessarily together. I suspect the answer is no.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is there any way of searching for the same words within a single post?

e.g.

returns lots of irrelevant results.
    You can put ""'s around the search term if you want to find a phrase.

Try the google search building. It will make the search for you so you can try different options.

Google Advanced Search

The results aren't irrelevant, they are all pages that contain those three words. I'm not really sure what you are asking. You can use an OR function between words or the '-' tp remove words.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Is there any way of searching for the same words within a single post?

e.g.

returns lots of irrelevant results.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Another useful one is to use the "intitle:" modifier on your search. This can be combined with the usual search terms, and any of the options mentioned above. For example, a search for Monday Links threads which mention Frank Sinatra would be:

If Sinatra and links aren't your thing, a more relevant one might be something like:

which will focus your search on posts in Accounting/Legal that contain the phrase "tax year" and have the term "dividends" in the thread title, meaning they're likely to be about that specific topic.

It's probably overkill for a lot of cases, but it can be useful if you're trying to be really specific and a more general search is returning more noise than signal

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    You never cease to impress Nick.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    If you include the thread ID (i.e. the number before the thread title in the URL, such as 58311 for this thread) then you can search individual threads. For example, find mentions of "smilies" in TPD by searching for site:http://forums.contractoruk.com/light-relief/4465 smilies

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Ta, I didn't realise you can append the forum name.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    started a topic Searching CUK Forums

Searching CUK Forums

You can give it a go using the Search in the website, but don't expect much.

Google is your friend for this.
    • Just add “site:forums.contractoruk.com” at the end of your search terms, and it will only look on here.
    • To specify a particular forum add site:forums.contractoruk.com/forum-name/ "site:forums.contractoruk.com/umbrella-companies/".

(I know these instructions are in the newbies netiquette thread, but I think they're worth repeating).

Working...
X