• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Reference Question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reference Question"

Collapse

• Lolly85
    replied
    Thanks for the advice - catastrophizing over. Pressing on with the search.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lolly85 View Post
    Thanks, will put them down in the future. The agency pointed me to umbrella co who were happy to confirm dates, but when the new org's recruitment team rejected it and I had a panic about future prospects.

I'm just hoping this isn't going to cause an issue across the board with public sector contracts, as that's what I get contacted for the most.
    It's not really an issue in this case, it's because you aren't understanding who you are and what you do. As Eek pointed out the Umbrella is your employer. The chain goes Client-->agent-->umbrella. The agent has absolutely nothing to do with you so shouldn't be using them as a reference.

Employers/agents aren't legally required to give a reference so it does happen from time to time but not enough to worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• Lolly85
    replied
    Thanks, will put them down in the future. The agency pointed me to umbrella co who were happy to confirm dates, but when the new org's recruitment team rejected it and I had a panic about future prospects.

I'm just hoping this isn't going to cause an issue across the board with public sector contracts, as that's what I get contacted for the most.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The umbrella was your employer - so it really is up to the umbrella to provide the reference

Leave a comment:

• Lolly85
    started a topic Reference Question

Reference Question

Hi there - any help is appreciated.

I have a situation where an agency I worked with when I started contracting is refusing to give me a reference (a simple confirmation of dates & job title). They have given me 2 references since I left that contract, but now its a no go

The first contract I did with them was outside though ltd. When that finished and IR35 blanket bans came into play, another department took me on as inside (umbrella used).

Has anyone ever dealt with an agency refusing to confirm dates (this was an Indian agency if that makes any diff as I have been using agencies forever without this issue). How would you deal with this situation in terms of references in future. I expect for the Ltd company portion I could ask them to check with HMRC, but is it usual for an Umbrellas confirmation to be accepted as a reference? The role I was offered is public sector and it appears they won't take the Umbrella's word for it. I was thinking if I had named the Umbrella in the first place it wouldnt look as suss.

Also for people who were in a similar situation Pre and Post IR35 - how do you represent this on your CV. Put your ltd company name as the outside contract (no mention of end client/agency)?

I'm a novice and quite depressed as the market has been for my niche since Jan in a way I haven't experienced before. This unexpected issue is causing a bit of stress.
    Last edited by Lolly85; 30 March 2023, 12:29.

Working...
X