• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant or Contractor Umbrella?"

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by elephantstone View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about leaving Giant myself. The amount I'm paying them for essentially running my payroll is just staggering - bit disappointed to read this as I liked the reviews of Contractor Umbrella and their calculator suggested I could end up with far more each month. Hoping this thread might be able to help a little.
    No-one should be able to net you more, so be very careful that you are comparing like for like figures; sames number of days per period, same tax code.

Leave a comment:

• elephantstone
    replied
    I'm seriously thinking about leaving Giant myself. The amount I'm paying them for essentially running my payroll is just staggering - bit disappointed to read this as I liked the reviews of Contractor Umbrella and their calculator suggested I could end up with far more each month. Hoping this thread might be able to help a little.

Is anybody here actually happy with their umbrella? I'd love to know.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Wary View Post
    My late payments were a result of CU raising/submitting the agency invoice after the deadline, despite prompt completion of my timesheets.
    Slightly different but a problem that shouldn't occur as it is a process that should be automated out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Late Payments are surely the biggest concern with an umbrella (provided your agency is honest about payment dates).

The money should really only touch an umbrella's bank account, it shouldn't rest in it.
    My late payments were a result of CU raising/submitting the agency invoice after the deadline, despite prompt completion of my timesheets.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Late payments was a persistent issue for me during my time with CU.
    Late Payments are surely the biggest concern with an umbrella (provided your agency is honest about payment dates).

The money should really only touch an umbrella's bank account, it shouldn't rest in it.

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Late payments was a persistent issue for me during my time with CU.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I’ve been with CU for the last few months and have been fine. Payments on time.

Leave a comment:

• codedbypaul
    replied
    Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
    OK, so having decided to go down the umbrella route for a contract I have narrowed it down to these two options. I'm seeing more positive reviews for CU, but is that still the consensus here too?

Many thanks.
    CU have lost their sheen since Lucy left and i’ve had multiple issues with late payments. I’d probably go with Giant now just to use the cycle to work scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
    OK, so having decided to go down the umbrella route for a contract I have narrowed it down to these two options. I'm seeing more positive reviews for CU, but is that still the consensus here too?

Many thanks.
    Only worked via an umbrella once and it was CU - absolutely no issues. My account manager was always available. I'd happily work via them again.

Leave a comment:

• Hollyhock
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Problem is if there is a requirement for the FCSA, unfortunately at present that excludes both Clarity and Orca. hopefully that will change soon!
    Yes, it's public sector and has that requirement attached.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Clarity is an umbrella Lucy went off and created.

Elsewhere I'm hearing good things about Orca Pay Group
    Problem is if there is a requirement for the FCSA, unfortunately at present that excludes both Clarity and Orca. hopefully that will change soon!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Contractor Umbrella is definitely a company to avoid, and you may find that most positive reviews relate back to their previous management (Lucy). See these two threads for a starter:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...xperience.html
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...use-again.html
    I recommend that anyone looking for an umbrella should choose one that participated in the CJRS furlough scheme. Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme.

Look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS (but bear in mind that one can't be certain how genuine all of the reviews are):
    Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

It seems that Giant did participate, whereas I can categorically confirm that Contractor Umbrella refused 100% to furlough any of their contractors.
    Clarity is an umbrella Lucy went off and created.

Elsewhere I'm hearing good things about Orca Pay Group

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Contractor Umbrella is definitely a company to avoid, and you may find that most positive reviews relate back to their previous ownership (Lucy). See these two threads for a starter:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...xperience.html
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...use-again.html

I recommend that anyone looking for an umbrella should choose one that participated in the CJRS furlough scheme. Not only will it give you a good indication of how they treat their contractors, but choosing one who participated will give you some confidence you'll be furloughed should there ever be a need to reintroduce the scheme.

Look at this site which has reviews relating specifically to the CJRS (but bear in mind that one can't be certain how genuine all of the reviews are):
    Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk

It seems that Giant did participate, whereas I can categorically confirm that Contractor Umbrella refused 100% to furlough any of their contractors.
    Last edited by Wary; 25 July 2020, 05:00.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    My experience with giant was not good, but cu never called me back so no idea

Leave a comment:

• Hollyhock
    started a topic Giant or Contractor Umbrella?

Giant or Contractor Umbrella?

Many thanks.

Working...
X