• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Public Sector and Umbrella"

Collapse

• Barrygbr
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think in your case nothing changes.
    Except that for your next contract you may find that your pay rate has been capped. For me this means a drop in the hourly rate of about £6ph (37.5 x 6 = £225 p/w or to put it another way £11,700 per annum - B'tards!!!)

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by misterpingu View Post
    Hello Lucy- just checking you think this is still the case. A lot of info has come out since this reply!
    No the same still stands, this part of the Intermediaries Legislation is not applicable to umbrella's. As the majority have said, you are paid via PAYE, so in essence, HMRC are getting the taxes they want with no worries

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Honestly. You really should have a better grasp of the mechanism you use to get paid and what's happening around you rather than having to ask on a public for every two months.
    Now, now... having spoken with so many people in the industry, both contractors and agencies, you would not believe the different opinions that are being given! It is worrying how often people misinterpret what is being said!

Leave a comment:

• misterpingu
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nothing has changed on the ir35 front, an umbrella user pays full PAYE so is not subject to ir35.
    Thanks- yep totally get that. What worries me is some lunacy or any change upstream in the chain.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    And.... relax....
    I know but well... Mehhhh

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Honestly. You really should have a better grasp of the mechanism you use to get paid and what's happening around you rather than having to ask on a public for every two months. For a start you should be asking your umbrella, they are your employer and you should be able to understand how the changes affect it. Absolutely nothing has happened that will.

I already gave you the link to the information so you know where to go look and I already told you who's best to ask. This is bordering on the ridiculous.
    And.... relax....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hello Lucy- just checking you think this is still the case. A lot of info has come out since this reply!
    Honestly. You really should have a better grasp of the mechanism you use to get paid and what's happening around you rather than having to ask on a public for every two months. For a start you should be asking your umbrella, they are your employer and you should be able to understand how the changes affect it. Absolutely nothing has happened that will.

I already gave you the link to the information so you know where to go look and I already told you who's best to ask.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 February 2017, 08:00.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Nothing has changed on the ir35 front, an umbrella user pays full PAYE so is not subject to ir35.

Leave a comment:

• misterpingu
    replied
    Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    Nothing will alter for you if you are with a brolly, the IR35 legislation is not considered

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Should I be renewed , as I'm an umbrella and not PSC- I assume that my umbrella would continue to deduct my PAYE, rather than my agency or Capita? Or is it still too early to say?
    Nothing will alter for you if you are with a brolly, the IR35 legislation is not considered

Leave a comment:

• misterpingu
    replied
    A couple of seconds reading the documentation comes up with this heading and comment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...brella-company

But if you are with a decent Umbrella they are your employer so should know the answer to this by now.

Thanks- didn't realise it was already out there in detail on gov.co.uk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    A couple of seconds reading the documentation comes up with this heading and comment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...brella-company

Umbrella Company

50.Where an umbrella company employs the worker directly and not through an intermediary, the new off-payroll rules do not apply. Some umbrella companies do not employ the worker directly and so this should be checked. If this is not the case then the normal rules apply.
    But if you are with a decent Umbrella they are your employer so should know the answer to this by now.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Just looking ahead to March and the coming changes to the way Public Sector contracting will work.
    Should I be renewed , as I'm an umbrella and not PSC- I assume that my umbrella would continue to deduct my PAYE, rather than my agency or Capita? Or is it still too early to say?

Thanks
    I think in your case nothing changes.

Leave a comment:

• misterpingu
    started a topic Public Sector and Umbrella

Public Sector and Umbrella

Just looking ahead to March and the coming changes to the way Public Sector contracting will work.

Thanks
    Last edited by misterpingu; 8 December 2016, 13:41.

Working...
X