• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Employer National Insurance IR35"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    An easing of the bitterness from all those years of servitude and under-performance while the bigger boys and girls spotted an opportunity and earned a mint.

Happy to report that we're mostly still earning a mint and those who return to permiedom will probably do so temporarily until another opportunity arises, whether here or overseas. That's the thing about contractors, they don't sit on their backsides wishing things were different.

(OP: sorry to derail your thread, but this is probably good for General now )
    Yep, spot on, a tactical move I've called it. But given said permie role I'm now in is 12 miles away from home along quiet rural roads but paying city salary, so far so good :-)

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Are we looking at a troll here chaps?
    you might say that.....
    I can't possibly comment.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Are we looking at a troll here chaps?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Interesting that you then chose to join a contractor forum. What did you hope to achieve or contribute?
    An easing of the bitterness from all those years of servitude and under-performance while the bigger boys and girls spotted an opportunity and earned a mint.

Happy to report that we're mostly still earning a mint and those who return to permiedom will probably do so temporarily until another opportunity arises, whether here or overseas. That's the thing about contractors, they don't sit on their backsides wishing things were different.

(OP: sorry to derail your thread, but this is probably good for General now )

Leave a comment:

• MDB2610
    replied
    Employer National Insurance IR35

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Why are you on a forum for contractors then?
    Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:26.

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    Originally posted by MDB2610 View Post
    Never been a contractor for a day in my life, never been in a job that would warrant a contractor employment type.

That’s the point, many contractor roles should be classified as perm
    Why are you on a forum for contractors then?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Never been a contractor for a day in my life, never been in a job that would warrant a contractor employment type.

That’s the point, many contractor roles should be classified as perm
    Interesting that you then chose to join a contractor forum. What did you hope to achieve or contribute?

Leave a comment:

• MDB2610
    replied

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And you weren't good enough to be a contractor?
    Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:25.

Leave a comment:

• Highland
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    In all seriousness - if I was perm getting a poor salary like £300-400 per week as contractors around me earned sensible money, I'd probably have a large chip on my shoulder too.

Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No, spent years around “contractors” who are now bitching about being caught out and having to join the real world

Leave a comment:

• MDB2610
    replied

I see you’ve spent you first eight posts whining about contractors. Depressed permie in a dead-end job?
    Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:26.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I see you’ve spent you first eight posts whining about contractors. Depressed permie in a dead-end job?
    Daily Mail peddler of nonsense? (they don't deserve to be called journalists)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    But unlike a normal employee you’re earning 300/400+ per day whereas they’re earning that in a week.

I’m sure you’ll cope

Leave a comment:

• MDB2610
    replied

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    The greatest unfairness with I35 is that you pay Employer NI as well as Employee NI and Income Tax.

So you actually pay more tax than an employee. But have minimal employment benefits.

Further reform is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:25.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by cwcsolutions View Post
    I’d say that biggest whoosh moment is that if a hirer expects you to devote all of your efforts to their business and act in all respects as an employee, pay employment taxes and negate their exposure, then contractors need to negotiate higher rates, that’s what self employed people do, whether HMRC agrees that they’re self employed or not.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
    Well it's a nice thought. Snag is, your top rate is driven by the least informed of your peers and the market rate is driven by people working for fourpence an hour. Unless you have something quite specific, rate negotiations are out of your control.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X