• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Volunteers needed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Volunteers needed"

Collapse

• webberg
    replied
    Many thanks to the 45 who have responded.

The link to the survey will be taken down this weekend.

The project here will now move into a period where confidentiality is required and that will mean no more posts here.

If you are interested in learning more at the cost of keeping quiet, please let me know.

Otherwise - thanks again to all.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Yeah, the jungle drums have been signalling it to be fair.

Luckily I have a plan.....
    Luckily I know of someone who has one if I needed to use it...

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Don't know how to break it to you but I reckon its a done deal - attached to the Taylor report....
    Yeah, the jungle drums have been signalling it to be fair.

Luckily I have a plan.....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    I am out there! I am building a video platform none of you will use and a piece of permie matching software (you won’t use)

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...2345718853632/

Just hope Phil doesn’t stick IR35 into the Private Sector on the 22nd as I’ll have to spend a load of time back on that gig.
    Don't know how to break it to you but I reckon its a done deal - attached to the Taylor report....

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    I am out there! I am building a video platform none of you will use and a piece of permie matching software (you won’t use)

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...2345718853632/

Just hope Phil doesn’t stick IR35 into the Private Sector on the 22nd as I’ll have to spend a load of time back on that gig.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Just to say that webberg has told me what's going on and I'm OK with this, it's no different from Andy H being coy about his startup IP.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    I have been asked and will happily point out that what we are looking at is not a "scheme".

It's more of a complete change of mind set over how contractors work and are rewarded.

Short of very specific counter action from HMRC (not impossible) this is something that could easily last a whole career for some.

A key reason for caution now is that it is likely to face opposition (as do all new and disruptive technologies) from established players and clearly we want to solve and iron out problems before we go live.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Your first post mentioned "...an hour..."
    It did. My error.

There is a longer version with some examples and models which requires more time.

In the end I went with a cut down version.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Your first post mentioned "...an hour..."

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Your unlikely to get any meaningful answers on the agency margin question, most contractors don't know and don't care. As long as the day rate is what you want and what you deliver is what the client wants it's largely irrelevant.

Yes there may be few edge cases where the agent is taking the micky and putting in a £150 a day contractor for £500 day role and keeping a huge slice for themselves but it's rare and the client will quickly question why they are paying that and not getting the service they expect for the money.
    I accept your view is correct in many cases.

I'm not really after the day rate but more the mechanisms and flows rather than the values.

Thank you for your interest.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I accept that the question on agency is phrased poorly. It should have asked something along the lines of what is the difference between what the agency charges the end client and the contractors day rate.

The question about links between agency and end client is valid.
    Your unlikely to get any meaningful answers on the agency margin question, most contractors don't know and don't care. As long as the day rate is what you want and what you deliver is what the client wants it's largely irrelevant.

Yes there may be few edge cases where the agent is taking the micky and putting in a £150 a day contractor for £500 day role and keeping a huge slice for themselves but it's rare and the client will quickly question why they are paying that and not getting the service they expect for the money.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We want to be able to go contracting in a way that doesn’t put us at a disadvantage when working away from home, or we want rights that being inside IR35 ought to give us. And we want to do it legally.

Which doesn’t require the services of a tax advisor.

And since you’ve been rather cagey in the ‘what’s in it for me’ mutual benefits stakes, as befits a tax advisor, I’m taking a rather jaundiced eye on this request webberg...
    Accepted.

I'll PM.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Completed it, only took 5 minutes, but there are a couple of bits that jarred.

Did you choose your agency or were you forced to use them?
    Neither, the agency is the one that happened to have the vacancy s is the one I ended up using. You might be better off asking this about Umbrella Co.s

How much do you pay your agency?
    I don't, the client pays the agency fees. It's illegal for agencies to charge people to find work for them. Again, you might be better asking this about Umbrella Co.s
    I accept that the question on agency is phrased poorly. It should have asked something along the lines of what is the difference between what the agency charges the end client and the contractors day rate.

The question about links between agency and end client is valid.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Thanks to those who completed (29) or attempted to finish it.

From the responses back, the average completion time is 5 mins, 28 seconds. Not sure why it needs an hour?

I accept that I have been less than forthcoming about what lies beneath. That is because we have something in development that is not yet ready (and may never be ready). If it ever becomes a reality then I'm sure you will see it in the paid for banners around this page.

I appreciate the forbearance of the moderators.

I'm happy for this to close now if it remains offensive.

In the meantime, thank you again to those who completed the form.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Completed it, only took 5 minutes, but there are a couple of bits that jarred.

Did you choose your agency or were you forced to use them?
    Neither, the agency is the one that happened to have the vacancy s is the one I ended up using. You might be better off asking this about Umbrella Co.s

How much do you pay your agency?
    I don't, the client pays the agency fees. It's illegal for agencies to charge people to find work for them. Again, you might be better asking this about Umbrella Co.s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X