• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is my CPU slow?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is my CPU slow?"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Won't all the MOBO drivers and HAL stuff be wrong, therefore unlikely to work. I'm no expert (no lol thanks) but I didn't think you could just move the drive to a new chassis. And of couse MS would de-activate Windows (which is not too hard to sort IIRC).

#JustSayin
    Windows allows a set number of hardware changes. If you breach this, and a mobo change does breach this, then when you boot windows will ask you to call a number and enter a code, then they send you a new code which you tap in and then 3 or 4 reboots while it adjusts it's drivers.

No yes it can be done, it's just ball ache.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah, W7 ultimate... I'd like to keep W7 for a while longer, ideally until W9
    you are not alone!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, W7 ultimate... I'd like to keep W7 for a while longer, ideally until W9

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Windows 7?

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664...s-own-software

have changed from HDD -> SSD - new SSD on my laptop no problems.

M$ let you do 1 - 2 changes every few months without trouble. (e.g. HDD & memory)

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Isn't Windows capable of detecting the drivers needed, just like when you plug in a new graphics card?
    I've done similar when fitting an upgraded MoBo/Processor to an older PC. Windows is surprisingly capable of sorting out the required drivers etc.. for the new MoBo in my (admittedly, limited) experience.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't Windows capable of detecting the drivers needed, just like when you plug in a new graphics card?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    [*]When I get a new PC, move the SSD across
    Won't all the MOBO drivers and HAL stuff be wrong, therefore unlikely to work. I'm no expert (no lol thanks) but I didn't think you could just move the drive to a new chassis. And of couse MS would de-activate Windows (which is not too hard to sort IIRC).

#JustSayin

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It seems the fastest CPU I could fit (A Q9660 or something around 3GHz) benchmarks nearly 2X as fast - which surprised me - but is prohibitively expensive.

It's likely I'd need a new PC quite soon but would it be reasonable to do this in 2 steps...
    1. Get a SSD in my current PC
    2. When I get a new PC, move the SSD across
    Or will this trigger all kinds of MS alarms?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    acceptable but could do better.

PassMark - Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz - Price performance comparison

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPU's

Unless you are crunching lots of numbers then an SSD will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

yes some of the SSD's come with a kit for doing it but if not plenty of well documented walk throughs.

Have you run some performance monitoring on your normal workload? Seen what is causing the bottleneck.

Windows 7 performance monitoring tools

Use PerfMon to Diagnose Common Server Performance Problems

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Is my CPU slow?

Is my CPU slow?

I used to follow CPU releases but these days I'm lost. My trusty Compaq-Presario VC913AA-ABU CQ5115UK runs Intel's G33 chipset with the 775 socket... mine has a 2.33GHz Q8200 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU. Apparently this socket will take something a bit faster but I've no idea if it's worth it or if I could even buy such a CPU these days.

A new PC would be better but I can't really be arsed setting it up and reinstalling everything! Is upgrading even worth considering... a cheap 256GiB SSD perhaps? Could I clone my HD into a new PC?

Working...
X