• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Email everywhere?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Email everywhere?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Won't one of the problems with IMAP be that if one user deletes an email then it will get deleted on the server and from everyone else's devices?

Or is this not an issue with IMAP?
    I think that's absolutely an issue with IMAP

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What do you mean by "configure [Gmail] to use localcompany's SMTP server"? What is "Gmail" in that scenario - an app, the web interface?

If I send mail from my Android phone it sends as [email protected], not [email protected], so it all works. Same if I use Thunderbird on my PC, and same if I use the web interface.
    As far as I understand it, Gmail is working as a client for the other email account.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    What do you mean by "configure [Gmail] to use localcompany's SMTP server"? What is "Gmail" in that scenario - an app, the web interface?

If I send mail from my Android phone it sends as [email protected], not [email protected], so it all works. Same if I use Thunderbird on my PC, and same if I use the web interface.
    Gmail as in the web interface through a browser at this point.
    Gmail has the ability to "Send Mail As" someone other than the default [email protected] address. When you add a "Send Mail As" account, you have an option to "Send through Gmail (easier to set up)" or to "Send through [email protected] SMTP servers".

I'm talking about doping the latter, not the former.

I have no idea why you think, or why you think I think, that your email might be sent as [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    So I also set up in Gmail "Send Mail As" [email protected] AND I configure it to use localcompany's SMTP server, then the reply from Fred does indeed indicate that it was sent from [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Outlook custom domains. Job done.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Yep, you should be able to add "Send mail as" accounts in the settings.
    Here's how it seems to be working (posting by way of an update and in case anyone else ever finds this helpful).

I send email to [email protected] and I've set up forwarding from fred@localcompany to [email protected]

Now, if Fred replies to the message (using his Gmail app), it appears to come from the Gmail account, but of course Fred wants it to appear to have come from his company's domain as he doesn't want to admit to using free Gmail as his corporate email solution!

So I also set up in Gmail "Send Mail As" [email protected] AND I configure it to use localcompany's SMTP server, then the reply from Fred does indeed indicate that it was sent from [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A bunch more storage and the ability to connect it to your domain (MX records IIRC) so that Google IS your email, rather than having to forward stuff around.
    Worth it in my mind, since Exchange hosting rather than regular email costs a few quid anyway.
    It's something like £20 for 3 years for my domain from NamesCo, and that includes forwarding 5 email addresses plus a catch-all. So a 5-person company can have email for £6.66 per year instead of £165.

It does mean there's an extra step in forwarding, but I've never noticed a delay.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Won't one of the problems with IMAP be that if one user deletes an email then it will get deleted on the server and from everyone else's devices?

Or is this not an issue with IMAP?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's no longer free which is usually the price many people require
    But presumably if they have an email domain, they are paying for that already. You can get email for free, but not email on your own domain (that I know of).

What do you get with Google apps for £33/user/year that you don't get with free GMail accounts?
    A bunch more storage and the ability to connect it to your domain (MX records IIRC) so that Google IS your email, rather than having to forward stuff around.
    Worth it in my mind, since Exchange hosting rather than regular email costs a few quid anyway.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Why not just get Google apps or similar to take over the email provision, and do everything through webmail?
    What do you get with Google apps for £33/user/year that you don't get with free GMail accounts?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Oooo ... the reply-from address isn't always Google, I can make it localcompany with some jiggery pokery
    Yep, you should be able to add "Send mail as" accounts in the settings.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Why not just get Google apps or similar to take over the email provision, and do everything through webmail?
    Yeah, I'm heading that way ...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Oooo ... the reply-from address isn't always Google, I can make it localcompany with some jiggery pokery

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It's no longer free which is usually the price many people require

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yep. PermieCo just use GMail for everything; it's fine. That's what I'd do if I was setting up a new business. POP3 mailboxes are a ridiculously outdated idea.

I still have Thunderbird on my PC to download the mail via IMAP, because I liked the idea of having a local copy in case Google throws a wobbly, but then that's probably a bit unnecessary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X