• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any Nokia Lumia users/fans here?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    The screen sensitivity is adjustable.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    How is it unlocked? Via the touchscreen? What if a body part shaped like a finger but near your pocket area swiped it?
    no you have to push a button to unlock, not wipe screen. Also even if not locked if screen goes off the touch does not work until you press a button to get the screen on again.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you put it in your pocket unlocked, maybe - but that would be foolish with any phone.
    How is it unlocked? Via the touchscreen? What if a body part shaped like a finger but near your pocket area swiped it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    And it will call random people in your contacts when its in your pocket?
    If you put it in your pocket unlocked, maybe - but that would be foolish with any phone.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    One neat feature on several of the new Lumias, though not all, is touchscreens that still work if you use a fingernail or are wearing gloves.
    And it will call random people in your contacts when its in your pocket?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The nokia aps are a deal clincher to that manufacturer for me, nokia transit is a good tool. Downloadable maps and languages as well for traveling, don't have to roam for info.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    One neat feature on several of the new Lumias, though not all, is touchscreens that still work if you use a fingernail or are wearing gloves.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Had the 900 for a while until it ended up in the washing machine courtesy of the girlfriend. Decided to get the 620 after that due to its £160 ish price point - and support for wifi/wifi hotspot which is essential to me. Despite the slightly smaller screen, in many respects just as good - or even better due to the windows phone 8 support. I've used the GPS whilst holidaying abroad on more than one occasion. Don't make much use of the camera however.

If I was choosing now (and I am tempted), I'd go for the 920 which is about 230 on amazon.

I greatly prefer the user interface on this phone to the Android or iphone, I found when using the android I was having to click and scroll around much more to get to where I wanted -although I didnt really spend too much time configuring that phone - you wont know until you try it.

One thing to bear in mind is the cheaper model nokia's appear to have screens that will smash quite easily, I've gone through two on my 620, one was via dropping it about 1.5-2 foot from my hand to a concrete floor - each time the touch screen has not worked at all. A friend of mine is still able to use his smashed iphone. I believe the 920 has a stronger screen.

Having the nokia windows phone gives you access to a few more apps as well. Recently they have added vine & instagram which may be nokia only. It's worth taking a look at the windows app store online to see if you can get what you need from it.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    IE browser on WP (7 and 8) has some limitations, particularly annoying is the lack of proper text wrapping, as listed on the windows phone feature requests which you can vote on...

Add Text Wrapping/Reflow to improve browsing experience!

Sorry to hijack the thread - I have put 3 votes on this - I encourage others to do the same!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I've got the 920 and love it. Recommended it to a client and he hates it, misses his iPhone. Learnt my lesson, now I wont recommend anything unless I can hide behind an anonymous internet identity.

I recommend the 920.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No, the 625 is about as dissimilar from the 620 as possible - it is a budget phone but a budget 4G large-screen phone.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well now I'm a quandary. The offer I have puts the 625 in the same practically free price bracket as the 520 or 620, when actually its pricepoint is probably somewhere betwen the 720 and 820 - on that basis I should snap it up.

On the other hand, it's just that one notch down in spec, primarily screen and RAM, and as noted we can expect new phones for WP8.1. So I probably snap this up now or wait with 7.8 until 8.1 comes out.
    Surely the number scheme indicates that it will eventually be the replacement for the 620 and so will eventually drop to that price point.

When / are replacements for the 720 / 820 due?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Just get an iPhone, there is no comparison.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well now I'm a quandary. The offer I have puts the 625 in the same practically free price bracket as the 520 or 620, when actually its pricepoint is probably somewhere betwen the 720 and 820 - on that basis I should snap it up.

On the other hand, it's just that one notch down in spec, primarily screen and RAM, and as noted we can expect new phones for WP8.1. So I probably snap this up now or wait with 7.8 until 8.1 comes out.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I had an 800 but my eyesight is starting to struggle with really small fonts and some of the apps don't zoom so I bought a 625 (larger screen). It's great, it doesn't have the high resolution of the flagship models and the colour depth isn't quite as good as the 800, but for £200 sim free it's fantastic. I like the micro sim slot and the removable cover is a great fit. All the Nokia exclusive apps are available and it has the same gorilla glass as the 800, which never picked up a scratch in 18 months of being carried with my keys.

Downsides: Some live tiles won't update on this model because of the lack of processing power, but I've not missed anything. Apps can be less available than other platforms. Commercial 3rd party apps are there (ok, may be only hundreds of flashlight apps instead of thousands) but things like banking tend to be missing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X