• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to clean a filthy mouse?"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    I probably have the same MS mouse as you do, had it for years and quite like as you can get used to anything. Scrape of a nail to get the crud off every coupla weeks keeps it working fine. I'm not worried about the micro life that might be having their own wee ecosystem on it as my keyboard is way filthier than my mouse.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Cleaning something that doesn't need cleaning is a bit idiotic IMO
    You don't need to shower, your car doesn't need to be washed... aesthetics defy rationality.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Factoring in your hourly rate only matters if you're doing it in work time. And even then I reckon 5min of my time doesn't bill at the £40 a good mouse costs.

Throwing something away simply because it's a bit mucky - it doesn't NEED cleaning, I would just prefer it be cleaner - is idiotic IMO.
    Cleaning something that doesn't need cleaning is a bit idiotic IMO

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Factoring in your hourly rate only matters if you're doing it in work time. And even then I reckon 5min of my time doesn't bill at the £40 a good mouse costs.

Throwing something away simply because it's a bit mucky - it doesn't NEED cleaning, I would just prefer it be cleaner - is idiotic IMO.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    WUAS. Not a stupid reply when you factor in your time to do it. Just chuck it away and get a new one. Or live with the crud. Plus my experiences of taking things like this apart never go quite to plan. Something always buggers up and I end up having to buy a new one anyway

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    I should have prefaced my question with "this is Technical, no stupid replies"
    Meh, once you add in the cost of buying new torx screw drivers, and isopropyl and remember to account for your hourly rate it's probably not cost effective to clean it. There's one here for £24.30.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    saw a fella the other day using a Tulip mouse, and i don't mean it was s**t i mean a mouse with tulip written on it, what year did they cease trading worked ok as long as you didn't want to use the scroll wheel as it didn't have one

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Just buy a new mouse.
    I should have prefaced my question with "this is Technical, no stupid replies"

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Just buy a new mouse.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    I don't have any airspray I use Gel
    Your an agent now?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Get a can of Airspray from a support monkey.
    I don't have any airspray I use Gel

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol. You can use nail polish remover as long as it's not the kind with added "nail conditioners" or moisturisers in it. They get left behind when the iso-prop evaporates. You can get it in cheapo pound shops and such.
    I get isopropyl alcohol from my local chemist's shop.

Much much cheaper than the tiny bottles of "computer cleaner" you get in other places.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It's a Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. Not sure if that's the same basic internals but on a cursory inspection, the little feet seem quite well attached.

Hmm, Googling turned up this: Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and 5000 Cleaning - iFixit

Which goes on about special torx anti-tamper screws. Maybe I need to clean without taking apart... what can I safely use? Some special alcoholic solvant?
    Isopropyl alcohol. You can use nail polish remover as long as it's not the kind with added "nail conditioners" or moisturisers in it. They get left behind when the iso-prop evaporates. You can get it in cheapo pound shops and such.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Get a can of Airspray from a support monkey.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's a Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. Not sure if that's the same basic internals but on a cursory inspection, the little feet seem quite well attached.

Hmm, Googling turned up this: Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and 5000 Cleaning - iFixit

Which goes on about special torx anti-tamper screws. Maybe I need to clean without taking apart... what can I safely use? Some special alcoholic solvant?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X