• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How hardcore is a typical site for a newly launched Ltd?"

Collapse

• yasockie
    replied
    I just manually cobbled up sth W3C compliant that looks and works ok, nothing too fancy, in my view this should be the equivalent of a business card.
    I get hits on my portfolio and clients looking for details like vat number.

Leave a comment:

• bigugly
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My experience is that, at least among web developers, the cobbler's child goes barefoot: a few very dated blog posts, probably in WordPress, with a self-made theme that more than adequately proves that a web developer is not to be confused with a web designer.

Sometimes the theme has been ripped out and replaced with a single line of CSS to switch the font from Times New Roman (the browser default) to Helvetica, with the most recent blog post being about planning to get a new theme sorted out Real Soon Now. That blog post will be dated sometime in the previous decade. This at least has the virtue of proving that the developer is in such constant demand that they don't have time to waste on their own site
    I like that thinking. And the foxes!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I just knocked up some simple HTML with my name and other major points inside <blink> tags. Sadly it seems to have stopped working.
    <blink> is dead: Mozilla devs plotting to put a stake in <blink> tag

Related bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=857820

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    And probably some waffle about foxes on there too!
    Yes, having the most recent post be about something completely unrelated to one's professional activities is also good

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My experience is that, at least among web developers, the cobbler's child goes barefoot: a few very dated blog posts, probably in WordPress, with a self-made theme that more than adequately proves that a web developer is not to be confused with a web designer.

Sometimes the theme has been ripped out and replaced with a single line of CSS to switch the font from Times New Roman (the browser default) to Helvetica, with the most recent blog post being about planning to get a new theme sorted out Real Soon Now. That blog post will be dated sometime in the previous decade. This at least has the virtue of proving that the developer is in such constant demand that they don't have time to waste on their own site
    And probably some waffle about foxes on there too!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I just knocked up some simple HTML with my name and other major points inside <blink> tags. Sadly it seems to have stopped working.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by bigugly View Post
    I know - how long's a piece of string right? Buuut, a one-man contractor company: Do you have mega-sites like the BBC or really just a place filler and some contact info? Also wondering what people here normally use - wordpress, drupal, ...
    You don't need a site, just a good CV.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I have a very basic Wordpress site.

I'm going to buy a premium theme to tart it up a bit as Mr C looked at and said that it looked old-fashioned, and he expects all company websites to look like his (he's a non-IT permie).

I imagine agents think like this as well.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I have a basic and now a little dated one page site with a blog. The whole thing was done in MVC/C# and was until recently hosted with DiscountASP. I moved the site over to an Azure VM because I get £100 worth of Azure credits free with the Bizspark programme. But I can recommend DiscountASP if your rolling your own.

Over the years I've only had a handful of contacts from the website but that could be because my website ranks low on google. However, when my CV goes out to clients I do notice an increase in traffic. I have all my testimonials on the site, this matters. I've heard from clients that testimonials on your website or linkedin do make a difference when they are choosing a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Mine is a few pages of content hosted by Google Sites set up in an afternoon a few years ago and hardly touched since. Presented as a 'consultancy' without any pretences to be BigCo. It does get occasional hits, mainly from agencies. I'd really like to move it off Google Sites at some point. I already have a web-server running but so far installing Wordpress or the like has evaded me.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Mine's crap - single page knocked up in html. One day I'll do something with it. Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• bigugly
    replied
    Haha, great. I don't have much free time right now so was predicting a place filler or wordpress out-of-the-box for me, but wondered if that'd be a demerit. If it's fairly common I won't panic about competing with facebook.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My site still exists it the form it did around 2008 when I put it up. Pretty ugly but I don't think it's aged, it was pretty ugly then too.

Plan B has a nicer site but I actually want people to look at that.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I have a page that says "come back soon". They stopped coming back after the first couple of years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X