• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Current state of play for using tablets with MS Office documents"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Firstly, thanks for the educational discount link eek, that sounds quite interesting.

Secondly - this is a question about software on different tablets to work directly with MS documents, not about whether people think the iPad is better than Android tablets generally.

THe "get a laptop" argument is quite a reasonable one, maybe what she's really needing is a netbook but I thought they were killed off by tablets and ultrabooks these days? I am not sure if she wants a tablet so she can do tabletty things as well as get work done, or only wants it work work - if that's the case a tablet might not be the best option.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    The head teacher at one school asked me to get MS office working on his new Macbook Air.
    Not exactly challenging, given that you just buy MS Office for Mac and install it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm not doubting that apple make good products, it just annoys me when schools blow their budget on expensive kit just because it looks nice.
    I agree - I argued at the school where I am a governor that we could do better by buying Android tablets which run the same assessment software as the iPads, as buying iPads.

Despite being on the budget committee, and the IT team, my views were ignored because people "know how to use an iPad".

We aren't a rich school, either, which is why I'd hoped we could save some money here.

That all said - my sister bought her own iPad Mini for use in school because her school (current budget surplus £200k which needs to be spent before September when they become an academy) wouldn't buy one.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    All the schools I visited (crap gig) had suites of £2k Imac's all running windows applications, the teachers had iPads which they used for eBay during their breaks.

The head teacher at one school asked me to get MS office working on his new Macbook Air.

I'm not doubting that apple make good products, it just annoys me when schools blow their budget on expensive kit just because it looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Get one of the new Haswell based Ultrabooks - VAIO Pro 13 with neat extra battery up to 18 hours - just over a kilo without extra battery, and 1.3 kg with

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I have an iPad and use CloudOn | brings Microsoft Office(R) to your favorite device, MS has just launched an Official version of Office for iOS devices but it requires an Office 365 subscription

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Yet another teacher wants an iPad but doesn't know why...
    Hardly:
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A fairly non-techy teacher friend is interested in a tablet+keyboard for working on the move, but is heavily tied into MS Office. She asked me if iPad/Android would allow her to do this
    Anyway, depending on the age being taught, there are some useful teaching applications available. Our school uses iPad mini's in Reception and Nursery because they are easy to use when assessing pupils.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Mrs (PE teacher) has got one for work - mostly gets used for candy-crush but I believe they can use it for registers etc, and allows a VPN onto the school network - which I guess would be useful...

Wouldn't pay for one myself though if I were a teacher, get much more use out of a PC / laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Because people instinctively know they're great!

The CloudOn app offers MS Office compatibility and links into DropBox and other Cloud services too. Very nice, although I've not used it in anger, just to view docs.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    My wife has a surface. I think its
    Everyone I know who has one agrees with that sentiment.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I can't get the concept that you need to put in on a table to use the keyboard. You can sit with a laptop on your lap without any such issues.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Lenovo Yoga 11s is out soon/now. Convertible, full win8 machine. £700 ish quid for the low spec- I think it wins on a cost/benefit to the ipad...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    or wait a week and see if the school will allow you to buy it (the surface rt is $289 on this scheme).

Microsoft launches Surface RT discount for schools | ZDNet

Offer starts June 24th (as does my contract).
    Last edited by eek; 18 June 2013, 09:56.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X