• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Big monitors

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big monitors"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    How To: Find your mouse cursor after you have lost it on Windows | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTech

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Feckin' massive.

Keep losing the mouse as well. Ill have to get something to help that.

Can't see any dead pixels on either yet, not ruling them out but nothing obvious, build quality on the case is very good, I decided on this one for that.

Turned the brightness down to lowest on both which gives a nice dim feel to the screen but displays very well. It is too much screen to have bright.

I am no monitor expert but if I was looking at this in an apple case I would say 'that is a nice screen'.

i'll post a picture or 2 once my windows phone decides to send the pics I took 15 minutes ago to my desktop.

All in all very happy.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Right, after much thunking I think I am going to go for the Achieva Shimian from South Korea, 2 of giving a total dual monitor size of 5120 * 1440 and 1.3 meters wide.

Eyefinity with a set of stands as the ones provided are meant to be a pile of mince.

From what I know these are the same screens that appear in the Apple 27 inch screens which fail product quality by the smallest margin so most of the sellers say their might be up to 3 dead pixels, some 5, some none. Most of the reviews I have read seem to be fairly positive.

Achieva Shimian QH2700-IPSMS Lite Edge 27" 2560x1440 AH-IPS DVI-D LED PC Monitor | eBay

Still not to sure about gloss screen.
    Good man. That's something I would go for as well. Totally worth the price, instead of paying a huge price for an equivalent Samsung or Dell.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I'd be hard pressed to spot one anyway.
    It's surprisingly easy if you get one with say the blue channel stuck on full blast.

I think I need a new screen. I can see past the edges of my 24" one.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sounds nice - the Apple ones are lovely - but isn't 3-5 dead pixels a lot? I thought even one dead pixel was unusual these days... or have I been extremely lucky?
    Its not ideal but on these 2560x1440 panels the pixels are so teensy that i'd guess they are pretty much unnoticeable, I got lucky with my DGM in that I cant see any, but looking at the sheer number of the things, I'd be hard pressed to spot one anyway.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Will do, quite excited to see how it will work out.

From what I have seen you can pay extra to get more inputs on some models, like the 2720MDP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROSSOVER-...item1c264518da

but I did not like the case as much and the speaker will be mince, also I think you have to get hdmi 1.4 (I think) on your card to get full 2560 1440.

I'm either going to have to get a display port to DVI active adapter to get the full 2560 with eyefinity on my second monitor or fork out for a new card with 2 dual dvi outputs. Ill run with a HDMI to DVi apapter initially but that will just get me 1920 on the second one I think.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Would you mind posting back once you get them running - sounds pretty tempting.

edit: does it only have VGA and DVI input? Seems a shame not to have HDMI really.
    Last edited by d000hg; 30 June 2013, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The one I am going for is saying no more than 3, most reviews I read are saying that there is a 50% chance of getting none, have not seen any reviews of more than 1 on a monitor. If it has 3.5 million pixels then 2 or 3 is not an issue for me but obviously less is better. I can see why there are so many apple cast offs, getting 3.5 million pixels 100% right must be tough.

Is a gamble though, you are getting what was going to be a 800 quid apple cinema screen for 250 quid but from what I read the general panel is far higher quality than nearly all around.

Had considered going for the newer one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROSSOVER-...item1e7b8ba68c but although it looks slightly more modern it has a bigger bezel, plastic case and crappier stand.

The only design flaw I can see in the one I want is that the buttons are not quite on the front but on the back behind a symbol on the front.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sounds nice - the Apple ones are lovely - but isn't 3-5 dead pixels a lot? I thought even one dead pixel was unusual these days... or have I been extremely lucky?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Actually, think it will be this one, power button on front. Same panel underneath.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROSSOVER-...61175699394%26

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Right, after much thunking I think I am going to go for the Achieva Shimian from South Korea, 2 of giving a total dual monitor size of 5120 * 1440 and 1.3 meters wide.

Eyefinity with a set of stands as the ones provided are meant to be a pile of mince.

From what I know these are the same screens that appear in the Apple 27 inch screens which fail product quality by the smallest margin so most of the sellers say their might be up to 3 dead pixels, some 5, some none. Most of the reviews I have read seem to be fairly positive.

Achieva Shimian QH2700-IPSMS Lite Edge 27" 2560x1440 AH-IPS DVI-D LED PC Monitor | eBay

Still not to sure about gloss screen.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    normal HD resolution is 1920 x 1080, so it adds an extra 25% to the width. I agree that it is missing thr extra depth but it is only under consideration
    'Normal HD' is fine for TVs, but on a screen that large that you're sitting closer to you probably want a higher res. My 27" dell monitor and iMac both have a standard resolution of 2560x1440.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I just wish I could get my dual monitors to be treated as one big monitor... I saw it done years ago but no graphics card I ever owned seems to have that option... so I can split the taskbar across both screens, maximise a window to the whole desktop, etc.

That IPS looks lovely but £400 is rather pricey.
    What you describe isn't native to windows.
    I've used this DisplayFusion: Multiple Monitors Made Easy! • by Binary Fortress Software

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I just wish I could get my dual monitors to be treated as one big monitor... I saw it done years ago but no graphics card I ever owned seems to have that option... so I can split the taskbar across both screens, maximise a window to the whole desktop, etc.

That IPS looks lovely but £400 is rather pricey.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    That's only 2 windows, the LG thing does 2, 3 and 4 windows

Have a look at this from about 1.50 onwards

LG IPS Monitor Ultra Wide 21:9 Aspect Ratio 29EA93 Expert Interview - YouTube
    Mmm, that is quite cool. It also looks a lot more useful there than I first thought. For most of my work where I'm working in one screen and viewing the changes in the other, it probably wouldn't help but it would be good for video editing and music software etc, anything with a horizontal work flow or timeline.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X