• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IE9 that isn't version 9 (eh??)"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    A colleague of mine has just received a Windows 7 tablet, that hopefully I'll get to play with soon. So that obviously could run IE9/10.

Do you care about IE8? Everything I'm doing is HTML5, which means IE8 is out of the question anyway. And then addEventListener works perfectly well in IE9.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Cheers. Says i'm using IE9 browser mode.

Much as I love The Guardian, main reason for asking is I have set up some javascript to also run drag and drop on tablets. Hopefully, it doesn't matter as I assume tablets don't use IE anyway. Or do they?

if (document.addEventListener) addEventListener("touchstart", touchHandler, true);
    do I need an else attachEvent here??? Hmm.
    Microsoft tablets (surface, surface RT) use IE10. Apple and Android tables use various versions of webkit.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers. Says i'm using IE9 browser mode.

Much as I love The Guardian, main reason for asking is I have set up some javascript to also run drag and drop on tablets. Hopefully, it doesn't matter as I assume tablets don't use IE anyway. Or do they?

if (document.addEventListener) addEventListener("touchstart", touchHandler, true);
    do I need an else attachEvent here??? Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Just typical lefties who can't get anything right I thought but now I find that addEventListener in Javascript, which should work in IE9, doesn't.
    A proper Leftie should say "You're running a capitalist browser, feck off".

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Developer tools in IE10 reports The Guardian site as in "Document Mode: IE8 Standards" - I assume that's something that happens automatically based on the content.

The site works fine for me though.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't they also put a little icon on the far right of the nav/URL bar to indicate this is happening?
    looking at the IE8 version (as I support tulip that really, really hates IE9) no.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Have you run developer tools (from the tools menu) or pressed F12. You may find that you are running it as IE8 or even IE7 in a compatibility mode.
    Don't they also put a little icon on the far right of the nav/URL bar to indicate this is happening?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I have IE9, according to "About Internet Explorer" anyway, but the Guardian site always says that my browser is not supported and I should upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Just typical lefties who can't get anything right I thought but now I find that addEventListener in Javascript, which should work in IE9, doesn't.

Anyone else finding things like this with IE9?
    Have you run developer tools (from the tools menu) or pressed F12. You may find that you are running it as IE8 or even IE7 in a compatibility mode.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic IE9 that isn't version 9 (eh??)

IE9 that isn't version 9 (eh??)

I have IE9, according to "About Internet Explorer" anyway, but the Guardian site always says that my browser is not supported and I should upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Anyone else finding things like this with IE9?

Working...
X